Fly Tying
DaUP

Face Melting Guitarist

I found this guy on youtube with some mad shredding skills, too bad he's a buckeye fan :P

I have never heard someone play a whole song by All That Remains like he can

here's a link to him playing

and

That is totally wicked dude... wish I could shred a third that well, but I ma just begining to learn so it'll be a couple weeks before I'm to that level... right?? :hyst: :hyst: more like a couple decades...

Steve

All I can think of to say about Eric Johnson is: GOD ALMIGHTY!!!!! The only resemblance between him and me is that we both play Strats, though I may toss mine onto a landfill and take up the tambourine after seeing him play. Thanks for sharing that little piece of virtuosity.

EJ can play the flat top too. :D

Saw Eric Johnson back in the late 80s down in Norfolk VA. He and the band went to play Steve's Boogie. When EJ first put his finger slide to the strings, it caught an edge, fell off his finger and smashed on the floor of the stage. Without even looking at each other, they changed songs in the space of one quarter note. If you weren't watching carefully you would never have noticed. I was fresh from reading in some Guitar mag, about how he could tell by ear when a battery was running down on an effects pedal. The tech's brought out his pedal setup. On a full piece of 4X8 plywood! There was almost no open space on the board it had so many pedals attached. The opening band was this Canadian group I had never heard of, The Tragically Hip! That was some show. The Hip had an auditorium full of guitar junkies on their feet, stompin' and dancin'.

Yeah it's amazing the ear some of these musical geniuses have. I used to hang out with Duke Robillard when we were teenagers, and he seemed to be tuning his guitar constantly, sometimes several times in the middle of one song. What sounded close enough for us peasants wasn't as perfect as the master would like it. Sometimes he'd just hand it to a bandmate to tune, because it would drive him nuts.

I had a feeling EJ wasn't as young as he looks in the video - he's just too fluid and confident to be a kid. Gotta see if I can find some of his stuff to download. Hey, this is a great thread - I'm about ready to stock up the iPod again, and you guys are supplying some terrific artists to check out.

In Stanley Jordan's hands it is barely a guitar anymore. That guy is off the hook! Talk about making a player want to sell their axe and take up knitting! A friend of mine who is a much better player than I, is completely intimidated by Stanley. :headbang:

I know exactly how your friend feels. Jordan's work transcends music - it's absolutely a spiritual experience to watch and listen to him. He's on tour in Brazil right now, but when he comes to the Northeast again, I'll be the first in line at the ticket window. My guess is that I'll see you at the show. (LOL)

Every one of those makes me want to give it all up as I feel it is in vane to continue at this point... but alass I must soldier on and hope maybe just maybe god has given me a gift for music or at least he will allow me the chance to play and enjoy it.

I know it is a bit off the path we have laid here but this guy kills me, he beatboxes while playing a flute and I have seen him in person and it is truly a sight to behold, raw unfiltered talent at it's best in my mind.

Steve

Boy, that kid can play. Steve, I kid around about burning my guitar after seeing these guys, but watching them online is like getting free lessons from masters. I've been having a lot of trouble lately playing electric after playing acoustic for a year or so, and I was starting to think my fingers were on the way out. But after watching Stanley Jordan, It dawned on me that I'd been hammering the strings - end of problem. (I guess electric guitars have volume controls for a reason LOL) Besides, we have a lot more fun playing than most of them do.

not the best video, by far... but micheal romeo is amazing, possibly the most effortless guitar player ive seen.. if any of you have heard of symphony x, the whole band is amazing. I saw them live last summer, flawless.