Fly Tying
Buzzby

SOURCE FOR ULTRA FLEX MYLAR TUBING

Anyone know where to purchase Ultra Flex mylar tubing now that Angler's Choice is out of business and the takeover company is not carrying it ?

Thanks in advance.

Good Day,

Keep your eyes open at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's. Sometimes have something in the gift wrap area. But usually large diameter. Made of mono and mylar.

Steelie

Angler's Choice Fly Tying Materials (Gone Fishin' Ent) of Mackay, ID is no longer in business. I've been told that the new company in UT will still handle Angel Hair, Poly Bear, and a few other materials but not all the one available from Angler's Choice.

I got some myler tubing at the craft section from Walmart in some great colors

same as the fly shope stuff

but alot cheaper 30 feet for a dallor :headbang: :headbang:

FC

I got some myler tubing at the craft section from Walmart in some great colors

same as the fly shope stuff

but alot cheaper 30 feet for a dallor :headbang: :headbang:

FC

Merle,

Is this the same stuff used for this pattern? Shad

The Davy Wotton pattern uses Flexi Cord. This is different from Ultra Flex. Ultra Flex is extremely flexable, light, and loosely woven. Twenty years ago Universal Vise carried a similar product but they're gone.

Unfortunately I just received an email from Denmark, where it used to be made, stating that production has stopped. The replacement item will be similar to EZ Body.

I was hoping to locate a remaining amount somewhere but it's looking bad at this point.

I didn't try to order any but.......http://anglerschoiceflytyingmaterials.com/indexflytiers.asp?cmd=1&nCategoryID=609

I ordered some Ultra Flex. I called and they said there is about 2 feet of material in a package. I really like the way Davy's fly turned out, and I believe he was using this tio build it, so I'll give it a try, too.

Ultra Flex

IPB Image

ULTRA FLEX is a fantastic new woven Mylar-flex tubing that is very easy to use. Make unbelievable baitfish and minnow bodies with ULTRA FLEX. If you are into poppers, air poppers made from ULTRA FLEX and SOFT BODY are a snap to make. If you prefer traditional poppers use ULTRA FLEX to cover your popper bodies. Pearl ULTRA FLEX tints or colors easily with markers. With thirteen colors in the large size and seven in the small size ULTRA FLEX can be used for trout, bass, pike, and saltwater flies. Large 13 colors: Black, Blue, Bright Copper, Emerald, Fuchsia, Gold, Lime, Pearl, Purple, Red, Silver Holographic, Silver, & Turquoise. Small 7 colors: Emerald, Gold, Lime, Pear., Red, Silver Holographic, & Silver

My experience when I find a material that's "nearly" like a material I really want, it turns out to be nothing like what I really wanted, and then, I am dissatisfied. I'd rather buy what does the job and be happy with the end result.

My best example of this is Magic Shrimp Foil. I believe it is a latex product similar to surgery gloves. I have read, "Don't spend the money for the real thing; use surgery gloves." I happen to have an excess of surgery gloves, new and used, so I grabbed the surgery gloves and started cutting. What I learned was, strips from the glove will make the backing for scuds and nymphs, but they do not make nearly as pretty an end product as the Magic Shrimp Foil itself. There is a difference that I can't identify, but it is there, and with a finished scud made of each side by side, you can see it.

Ray