Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hr. Bach

MOM attempt

Well, Marbury flies are not my normal field, but what I have seen on this page of beautyful MOM flies has inspired me so much I had to give the style a try. This might be the one and only, depending on you guys. Tell me what you think.

Mvh

Martin

post-3638-1197665556_thumb.jpg

That is frikin awesome!!! I for one, sure hope this is not your last MOM posting. I think you did a terrific job. The double JC nails along the wing look killer. :headbang:

Wow, Martin, that's superb!!! Did you use a vise, or did you tie this in-hand as usual? If you tied this in-hand, it's all the more impressive!

John

Hi Martin,

I'm glad to see you try your hand at a MOM fly. You've put all the right elements into a very attractive fly!

Can you tell us about the hook, and perhaps the pattern? Is that a Western Tragopan wing? :bugeyes:

I hope you'll try a few more. :D

Mike

:bugeyes: DAMNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!! that's the first one you've ever tyed?????? where the hell is that damn razor blade.....i'm gonna go head and use it this time................i'm sick.................. :crying: :crying: :crying: JESUS H. that is a STUPID cool fly...............BEAUTIFUL , i'll be right back with questions. mark

WOW, ok.....what hook is that? What tailing material? Which exact pheasent is the wing from? What is the exact body material? Why did you choose, (what looks like to me), rooster (neck or saddle?) hackle for the collar as opposed to hen or any other more webby hackle? And do you put the snell on as you finish the fly, or at some other point? Thankx, mark..... B) btw, i love the collar.....cause it just seems to fit the charactor of this fly perfectly..........it's a KILLER tye

Thank you for your nice words. I might consider doing another one sometime.

Mike,

The hook is from a lot of antique hooks I bought long time ago. I wish I had more information about it, and that I could get some more of it.

Mark,

Here is the pattern, selfcomposed

Hook #1

Tag: Oval silver tinsel

Tail: Bankasian Cockatoo

Body: Red seal's fur

Rib: Oval silver tinsel

Wing: Pair of Western Tragopan breast feathers, with two spread jungle cock on each side

Front hackle: Yellow hen

Head: Black wool

The gut is tied in first, going to the tag (fishing ability).

Allthought the hackle is hen, I would have preferred it might have been more soft and webby, so there is room for improvement here.

Mvh

Martin

Martin:

Not only should you continue to tie the Marbury flies because this one is so dang awesome....you should continue to establish what might be a milestone,

It is common for us tiers in the USA to tie the Classic Salmon patterns which originated across the pond, but to my knowlege, few if any European tiers have taken on Marbury American Classics (other than some dries)

What an excellent dressing !!!

dg

Really nice Martin :headbang: :headbang: !!!!!!! I go away for 8 days.... don't see the FTF board... and Martin ties his first Marbury style wet :D !!!!!!

Regards

Lee

Thankx Martin.....so it is hen.....ok. Cool.....but i can't imagine how in the hell you can tye around all that gut. I sure hope you do a LOT MORE of these flies..........you got the "TOUCH" AND the "EYE." .....now, does anyone know where i can get that tailing material????? The B.C., i've GOT to get some of that. mark..... B)

i can tell you where to get those feathers mark but you wouldn't buy any.

jens sells the subs for this species for about 65 or 75 bucks a pair. still want some? if so let me know and i'll tell you what the real stuff cost.

Bud

That has to be the first MOM with BC

Gorgeous work Martin :headbang: :headbang:

Mark, if you're not up to buying real BC, or pay $75 a pair for the red dragon subs (which are fantastic), try what Aaron demonstrated at Ronn's November meeting. ;)

Sign in to follow this