Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sukhoidave

What to do with antique flies

My wife very kindly found and gave me an "antique" fly wallet with a bunch of wet flys in it. Some are standard old wet fly patterns like montreal and parm belle, some are spoonwing bass flies. None are in very good shape, certainly not collectable. Many are on snells and obviously old hooks. I have considered chopping some of them and re-tying the patterns so they are in better shape. I think I'd keep the best example of each type. I could use some of the gut snells for blind eye gut loops also...???

What you you guys think?

I think it would be cool to preserve them the way they are. They are like a small piece of fly fishing history.

I would steam the flies to get them back into non-crushed shape, then put them in a shadow box with info on each of the flies.

Good find

I wouldn't mess with them at all, open it up, put it behind glass and enjoy the history of the article (intact) then again, that's just what I'd do, whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy your find!!

Another thing that could be fun with a shadow box, put the old style flies in it, as well as your replicas.

It could be fun to try and find close hook replicas and the materials. Make a game out of it.