Fly Tying
PaulR

First post intro

post-12914-1197831771_thumb.jpgHi everyone! I guess it's about time that I make myself visible, or as visible as we can be on the internet, instead of from inside my closet. Many of you know me and some do not. This first fly post will introduce my book(s) project to those of you whom I do not know. Breifly, the project approaches salmon fly tying from the artistic/creative position or as you like to call it "freestyle". The books will offer a method that I refer to as schema. The schema concept of description of structure or diagrammatic presentation is brought to light through the working process of feather selection and manipulation, creative use of tinsel and silk and other artistic decisions. Each fly presented will represent one species of bird and all feathers except gp crests and ostrich herl, come that given species. Here, we have the multi-colored kingfisher or nowadays called the Java kingfisher, Halcyon cyanoventris. Thanks PaulR

ps: sorry about the moire patterns. Anyone know how to eliminate them from a photo?

Welcome, Paul! Glad to have you on the forum. :yahoo:

That fly is drop-dead gorgeous. For those of us who tend to think of kingfisher feathers as "accents," it's difficult to envision how those feathers could become the central players for an entire pattern.

Lookin' forward to seeing more of your creations!

John

Hi Paul,

Firstly a big welcome to the site, I can see why you have a reputation for wonderful flies this one certainly shows that off perfectly.

All the best Davie

Hi Paul,

Nice to finally see your work here on the Forum. Guys like you and Bud Guidry have been major inspiration to me as far as tying "freestyle flies" goes. Down here in New Mexico there is not too many of us that tie any sort of salmonflies, freestyle or the classics, so there is not too much to draw on as it were, for ideas and help on techniques. Thank God for the Forum!

Have a Happy Holiday,

Dean, The Desert Caddis

Many of us a very excited to see your book project as it comes to fruition, Paul. My order is already placed. If this is any indication of what's to come, we are in for a treat! Welcome, indeed.

Leigh

Well there goes the neighborhood! :) Glad to see you posting as I know you have been lurking for quite a while. You already know how beautiful I think your work is so I won't try to type it all out here.

BTW, Rosemary told Dave Kline to tell you hey. He has been keeping very close contact with her since we left the show. :)

Very nice job :headbang: I take it that Paul R is as in the one and only Rossman. Very nice to see you posting and I'm looking forward to seeing more

B) Bruce

Welcome, nice to have you on the board!!

And a very nicly done intro :)

I almost forgot. Tell Agnes I say hello and Cheri also (don't want either female to think that I am giving more attention to the other). :)

Hi Paul! Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to you posting some of your works, maybe while in progress? Would be instructive for us to see how they progress. I really like this "schema" concept of yours. -

-E

(Peter)

Hi Paul, that's about as clean and slick as they come. Very nice indeed.

You asked about the moire patterns on the photo, what camera are you using and what is its resolution ?