Fly Tying
PaulR

First post intro

Hi Tom! Do you have some feathers from your bird(s) that you might want to share in exchange for something? Paul

always happy to do the same thing with them we did with the blythe's tragopan.

of course, what i should do is challenge you!

i should make one at the same time you are so we could see what each of us come up with...of course i am so damn lazy that will likely never happen.

T

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I thought it may have been a "bridge" type camera you used. The Nikon 5700 is a fine camera, I don't know if it will make a difference but have you tried adding a circular polarising filter to it ? When shooting in natural light it can make quite a difference by deepening the saturation of the colours amongst other things.

Being a diehard user of s.l.rs and film ones at that, I have recently converted to a Nikon D50, now discontinued but it will allow me to use some of my manual focus ( I said I was an OLD slr user!) on it. The beauty of an slr is that it has a larger sensor and is often able to resolve more detail. The lenses are often larger etc but they give better results as they are usually faster, aperture wise so allow in more light and detail.

Okay they are bigger/heavier etc but you can choose the lense YOU want to go on it. These factors when combined with the use of a decent tripod set up will see you getting up with the other top flight photographers on this forum.

Welcome aboard Paul!

Will be a pleasure seeing your work here!

As all your other work I have seen, this is flawless and a real treat to the eyes.

Looking forward to you series of books.

Bob

Hi Paul!!!!

This fly is beautiful!!! the picture is nice but does not do it justice compared to what I saw in person at Somerset!!!! I am not knocking your camera but when I saw your flies in person they blew my sox off!!!! Glad to see you posting here and can't wait to see the book!!!!

Keith

post-12914-1197831771_thumb.jpgHi everyone! I guess it's about time that I make myself visible, or as visible as we can be on the internet, instead of from inside my closet. Many of you know me and some do not. This first fly post will introduce my book(s) project to those of you whom I do not know. Breifly, the project approaches salmon fly tying from the artistic/creative position or as you like to call it "freestyle". The books will offer a method that I refer to as schema. The schema concept of description of structure or diagrammatic presentation is brought to light through the working process of feather selection and manipulation, creative use of tinsel and silk and other artistic decisions. Each fly presented will represent one species of bird and all feathers except gp crests and ostrich herl, come that given species. Here, we have the multi-colored kingfisher or nowadays called the Java kingfisher, Halcyon cyanoventris. Thanks PaulR

ps: sorry about the moire patterns. Anyone know how to eliminate them from a photo?

Hi Paul,

it's very very nice to hear you on the forum, great new for all of us. I can't see hour to see your book, I'm sure that will be amazing as your flies. I love your idea in project. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Your Friend,

Fabrizio

Hi Paul,

good to see you here, and good to know that a fresh book will come out soon. I am afraid next January me and Fabrizio will be missing the nice afterdinner beers in Somerset. But we'll see you soon, maybe for fishing around your area. Who knows?

Take care and my regards

Ciao

Alberto

Viva the web and viva el forum!!! Another great tyer to learn from!!!!

I feel so lucky to be a member, welcome aboard!!!!

Welcome aboard Paul!I have heard great things about your tying.And an absolute stunner of a fly!

Steven

Sorry i missed this post Paul.....what can i say.....welcome aboard, it sure took you a while. VERY glad to "see you hear." I've learned so much from you over the years, both from having taken your classes a couple of times, and from just all the inspiration from seeing your flies at all the shows year after year. Obviously you are as gifted as it gets, when it comes to what it takes to do what you do. It is highly difficult for me to not be extremely depressed every time i look at your flies; :( they are so UNBELIEVABLE..........but i always find a way to draw enough inspiration to be able to overcome having to face my own shortcommings. You have been my single most important influence for a number of years now.....not that it's eveident in my flies.....my flies are a JOKE, in comparison.....but as a source of inspiration. Hope the B&B is well. Can't WAIT to see my pre-paid copy of the book hit my doorstep. Would you mind signing it for us Paul, and then call my wife right before you mail it, and remind her to hide all razor blades in the house....... :P mark..... ;)