Fly Tying
Mokai

Neighborhood Christmas Lights

I drove around last night and took some photos of the Christmas Lights in the area..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And here is my Christmas tree...

IPB Image

What a great idea for a topic Andrew!

It's nice to see the houses all decorated for Christmas and those are some real good shots. Looks like those folks put some effort into their yard displays.

Ernie

I have to drive 12 miles just to get to town to see anything, theres only 4 houses here in the valley and none of us put up lights...I dont even do a tree anymore...of course the night sky is great with no towns nearby...

Those sure are great shots Andrew. Did you use a tripod? I think that is something I might try and do this week.

Jim

Thanks guys..Yes Jim I did use a tripod..

The camera settings were as follows..they did vary from shot to shot but this will get you started..

ISO 200

3 to 8 seconds

f/8-11

I think next time I will try like f/16-f/22 to see if I can get some star bursts from the lights..

Have fun...

Nice photos Mokai, very cheerful, colorful and festive. I spent last weekend in Newport Beach and tooks lots of photos of the boats on parade, all lit up. As soon as I have time I'll post them here. I even got my best snowy egret in flight shot yet, on the pier. There are some pretty insane homes with Christmas lights here in Burbank and I hope to get out and take some pics this week.

This is a great topic, with beautiful images, thanks Andrew!

Graham

Was out with Stu (Little Laker) on the evening of the 23rd taking some Christmas light pictures and here's some of the results. I'm really looking forward to seeing Stu's pictures from that night.

Tree Of Hope. To give you an idea of scale, there's a street light at the lower right of the tree.

post-3353-1198602188_thumb.jpg

Went over to Westbank and took some pictures of a house. I understand that they start putting up lights in September. All of the shots were timed shots with exposure lengths of between 2 and 30 seconds.

Those are the lights of Kelowna in the background.

post-3353-1198602383_thumb.jpg

Those blurred lights in the top left corner belong to a ferris wheel.

post-3353-1198602505_thumb.jpg

A Nativity Scene with a carousel to the right.

post-3353-1198602962_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1198603100_thumb.jpg

The lights of Kelowna from across the lake. You can see the Tree Of Hope beside a couple office towers at center right about 2 1/2 miles away. Used f.32 with this shot and it was a long 30 second exposure with a 300mm lens.

post-3353-1198603175_thumb.jpg

Wish I had a lens wide enough to take a picture of everything so I had to settle for a cross shot.

post-3353-1198605066_thumb.jpg

Using a cross screen filter.

post-3353-1198605318_thumb.jpg

Hope you like the pictures.

Ernie

Thanks Jim!

Had a couple more light pics on another roll that I finally got developed. For some reason they came out as panoramic format even though the camera isn't made for panoramic photogrpahy. Here's one of the pics.

Ernie

post-3353-1199791190_thumb.jpg

There are Peter! The place shown in the first set of pics was crowded every night and since it's on a cul-de-sac, the traffic got pretty intense at times. The guy's neighbours can't stand the show because of the traffic and amount of power that he uses. The place is up for sale.

The place shown in the pano only has light traffic but because Stu and I were taking photos of the display, we were joined by others in short order. Would love to see Stu's shots from that night as I bet he took some damn good ones.

Figured out why I got a pano print out of a normal 35mm negative. As close as I can figure, I had the roll developed at a near-by photo lab and the machine mis-read the negative as there's a lot of black on both the top and bottom of the negative so out comes a pano. Not the first time it's happened.

Ernie