Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James Daly

The Butcher 3/0 (Pryce-Tannatt)

Greetings all,

Here's a funky photo of a butcher. I got this weird distortion from my camera this time. I don't know, maybe the angle I was shooting at was slightly different?? It didn't feel different.... Whatever, it's 1 am. I swear the horns are identical. The one looks way out of whack. The taper in the hackle is not there. I tried, in vain, to stroke them back, but they wouldn't listen. I am starting to get the head shape and size that I've been after for a while now. This one is the second straight with the smaller, more compressed look. Now that I've gone and said that, it will go to crap, but hey 2 is consistent, right? :hyst: Although, I did leave a little, tiny bit of room that I could have inched it forward. I know, that's splitting hairs, but I'm just as compulsive as the rest of you. :o :headbang: :D For your critique and amusement. -Jamie

post-4102-1197872268_thumb.jpg

Splendid Butcher Jaime. The head is similar in shape to Mr Carne's usual job, and that's a complement !.. Quite amazing, the diversity of work that comes off your vise. !!

dg

Thanks all!! I tried to take a better pic this morning after I put the next coat of head cement on. I think this one came out a little less distorted. Thanks again!!! -Jamie

post-4102-1197900083_thumb.jpg

Wonderful tying, Jamie. :headbang: That short compact head is amazing. When I'm tying, that is the one

spot on a fly that makes me nervous. Well done.

this is your best fly jamie. i agree with ronns words. you've come quite far up in recents times. i can give you a pointer for the throat and how to give it a nice rounded shape so it creates an illusion of flow. use spit, saliva, luggie, what ever you want to call it but use alot . soak the throat with saliva. stroke it into the desired shape your looking for and walk away from the vise. come back later and stroke it between your fingers and it will fluff up again but stay as you " styled" it. some claim it will go back to it's original position but i do this to all my flies with throats of hackle. some 2 years ago and they are still in the same position, nothing came back to original.

Bud

:D Jamie: Beautifully tied! One of my favorites and I especially like the SHORT tag! I prefer my throats tied "in the round", but you have done a super job here. Wonderful!

Dave P. :)

Jamie, good work, that is a perfect dressing of the butcher, almost to perfect :D

Keep posting those flies :)

Best Rgds.

Kay

Sign in to follow this