Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brookie

Kate

Well, I've had a busy summer and fall. Finally tied the Kate to finish out the class. Better late than never, right?? Let 'er rip with the critique my friends!

Best Fishes in the Coming Season and Best Wishes for the Holidays,

Dave Cornue

post-3558-1198122837_thumb.jpg

WOW!!

That was worth the wait, you really did a FINE job on it!

Well done, great way to finish up your seminar flies!

Dave:

Particular noteworthy is the excellent overall look to your fly. The staggered length of JC, sides and roof are KILLER, as are balance. I guess once you tie at this level of proficiency you want to hear that the taper of your body hackle could have been better graduated. I suppose you knew that anyway...judging by your excellent attention to detail elsewhere. A fly to be proud of

dg

Hi Dave,

I've got to agree with DaveG your Kate has lots of real quality about it some things you just can't hurry.

Well done....

All the best Davie

i think this is a very nice fly. really nice work.

aside from the taper issue, the only other thing i noticed was it appears you have a slip of your barred teal shoulder out of synch with the rest of it. might have happened if you mounted it more than once, or it is possible it is fine and it is a flaw in the photo. can't tell since i can't enlarge it.

You did a great job on it, i wish i had heads this good on my flies!!!

Thanks for the comments.

Gotz: yeah I'm not too chili-red-hot with the hackle either. I have been using hen saddles as I like the full webbiness, but generally it doesn't have a good taper. I should have quit and started over. This one fly has me rethinking hen saddles for body hackle - it would still be fine for throats, when you can find it large enough. This was a 5/0.

Doc T: yeah it looks like the teal is split. I looked back at the fly and indeed it is, with one fiber shifted out of place as you noted. Must admit I missed seeing this. Thanks for pointing it out.

Another thing I don't like is the wing is a mm too long. It matched real nice before mounting cheeks, roof, topping, etc. Guess I pushed it down somewhere in there. I am thinking it would be wise to scale the wing a mm or two short in expectation that this may occur. I think I would rather be just a tiny bit short than long. How about you guys?

Do any of you tie your wings in slightly shorter on purpose to account for this???

Best Fishes for the Coming Season and Best Wishes for the Holidays :D

you pulled this pattern off beautifully dave. i like all the elements of the fly, the wing is really nice. well worth the wait

Bud

It's a hell of an effort. One of the prettiest Kate's i've ever seen. ..........jeeze, i feel like Grocho. Where's my cigar. :D ..... mark ..... :whistle:

Sign in to follow this