Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WaterWolf

Baronet (Jones)

g`day WW. Looks great, the background doesn`t help though :headbang:

Hey guys –

Attached is the Baronet from Jones and is the first fly I tied in hand (so be easy on me :D :lol: !!). For sometime I have been inspired to tie a salmon fly in hand – no doubt I have seen some awesome vintage style flies by those who tie in hand here at the FTF. I read Kelson’s section a few times as he explained the “ins and outs” of hand-tying – and I watched Ted P tie a beautiful little blue doctor in hand at Ronn’s house late one night – I find I learn better by visuals rather than reading :D !! I found this challenging to say the least but felt much more comfortable by the end of the fly as I finally relaxed a bit on the hook grip – and in the end I actually truly enjoyed it!! I prefer the “vintage” style even when I am tying with a vise but no doubt tying in hand adds another certain vintage appeal. As a side note I used gossamer silk, cobblers wax & very few tools (scissors, bodkin). The fly was tied on an original Allcock 778 3/0 Limerick. Comments/criticisms welcome – and no doubt I will do some more of the hand tying (but will definitely return to the vise as well!).

Cheers

Lee

PS - Here is another photo - different background.

post-4374-1198455146_thumb.jpg

Wonderful tie in hand and its pretty close to the plate in Tolfrey, only thing I see is that the hackel is a littlebit longer on yours than the Baronet in JGTN. Great tie and I looking forward to see more :headbang: :)

He smells like marbury flies..... :unsure:

:hyst: cool fly man! i like the seacond pic more, less distracting.

Lee, the first photo is a cover shot for sure. Don't listen to those guys!!! :rolleyes: The fly is beautiful too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang:

Congratulations Lee. You have really succeded with this first handtied fly. It looks great and so does the pictures.

Critisism: Hmm, as Kjell-Ove says the hackle is a little to long for the sparce wing.

There are 19 more flies in the "Jones" plates, so keep them coming.

Mvh

Martin

Absolutely love this fly, Lee. Even more impressive tied in hand. I have an arthritic left thumb which, based on some experiments, isn't gonna let me tie in hand without a lot of pain, so I'll have to admire all of you who can do it, and do it so well

The other Leigh

:yahoo:

Standing ovation!!

and in hand to boot!

A beautiful fly Lee and it's photographed with a very pleasing and complimentary background!

Cheers!

Lee: When a fly is as nicely tied as this...the background will neither make or break it. Really wonderful job !!

dg

Sign in to follow this