Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Dying GP Crests

I want to tie a couple of DeFeo flies that call for crests dyed blue and I'm afraid they're going to come out green. Is there something used to strip the gold color out or do I just soak the hell out of head in the dye bath? :dunno:

Paul, you might try to find some Yellow Golden heads. I have one, and the crests and tippets are very

bleached out looking (almost no yellow at all). I know they vary by bird, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the information guys. I'll contact John to see if he can help with some light colored heads.

I won't get the fly done before Christmas but John Mc can dye crests blue. I think that he has dyed them just about every color in the rainbow at this point. :)

Paul, i buy all my dyed crest, (full heads) from Wapsi. Of course i have an advantage in that i don't worry much about my crest bein' perfect.....since i don't tye "perfect flies" :D and that gives me a huge advantage in that almost every single crest on a head is usable one way or the other.....tail, topping, wing.....some damn place. I also do not go through all that riggamaroar of having to prepare them.....what a crock. My point is if your not to particular, Wapsi does a magnificent job of dying.....BEAUTIFUL colors. Just ask any fly shop that handles Wapsi materials to order them for you. I've got Green, Red, Orange, Purple, Blue, & Black. mark..... B)

Paul,

Take the feathers you wish to dye blue, either individually or the whole head, and place on a window sill of a window with a sunny, southern exposure. Over several weeks, the sun will completely bleach the feathers, with no harm to the structure. Then it/they can be dyed any color with impunity.

Sorry to disagree with Mark R., but I doubt that Wapsi markets any blue dyed crests.

Best from Nashville=

Stack Scoville

Stack, your right.....i hadda unpack half a big plastic tub of "Stuff" to find 'em.....and there's no blue in there from Wapsi. Just a few loose blue crest.....( i knew i had some, but they're not Wapsi product), in a bag with other blue feathers, so :dunno: where i got 'em. Prolly swapped somebody somethin' for 'em. We (CFTG) have a GREAT swap every Feb. for that months, monthly meeting. Next Feb. it's on my birthday but i won't be able to make it. REALLY gonna miss that. Every year we come home with so much cool "Stuff" and we spent hardly anything.........just swappin'. Was really fun back when i had the birds. Everybody wants Guinea, and Schlappen, and hen back. I've gotta find those rabbitt skins i skined out too. Stack, you know Tom Berry.....the tyer from Mississippi who got wiped out in Katrina and who now lives in Arkansas? You'll see him at the Sowbug if your there. He's got some new contraption for makin' easy work of cuttin' Zonker Strips from rabbitt skins. Sposedly you can do them lengthwise or cross cutt, just as easy with this thing. He says he's bringin' it to the Sowbug and we can all take turns cuttin' strips if we want. BTW, i've got one thing to swap right now if anyone is interested????? I'll swap say 20/30 really nice Claret Schlappen feathers for whatever you think you've got that makes it a fair swap????? I got bout 100 of 'em, maybe more.....so lemme know. mark.....

Sign in to follow this