Fly Tying

I've just read in another topic about respect and how simply growing old entitles you to it. I know I shouldn’t but I feel compelled to say this:

Respect is earned and has nothing to do with chronology.

Matt, you have earned my utmost respect as have many others on this forum. Unfortunately, I can’t say that about everyone here, regardless of their age.

John McLain

From the internet "An elder is a person valued for his or her wisdom who accordingly holds a particular position of responsibility and respect."

I value your's and many other's on this forum wisdom and believe that you have earned my respect by doing things much more important than having a lot of birthdays.

I agree John. Respect is something hard earned over time, but it can be lost infinitely quicker.

There are many people I like, but not nearly so many that I truly respect.

Good points fellas,

Here's one I find interesting. "If you have some respect for people as they are, you can be more effective in helping them to become better than they are". -John Gardner

The thing about it is that all too often we all get caught up in the "how", rather than in the "why" we all do this. Opinions are like voices, we all have a different kind. But, respect comes with actions and the ability to treat others kindly. The golden rule. I value so many folks on this forum for their wisdom, kindness and willingness to help. It is a value that has no age limit or that has a care for that number. Waxing Philosophic, Jamie

Respect is not tied to time nor age and is wholly subjective. One's earned respect may not earn the same from another person. Good deeds find their way out of one's heart and manifest into observed experience. From there respect may be earned no matter the age. I stand with you John.

PaulR

Discovering that I respect an individual that I dissagree with enhances my life. It was the first step in finding the love of my life...my darling wife of 29 years. My dear sweet Sally

dg

John...although you may think this post has no place on our forum...it is the very substance of my best works....thanks

Ok, I guess I'll take a stab at this. Stab because as I see it, respect can mean quite different things. You can respect someone personally or you can respect skills and/or achievements. Achievements can also be broken down to knowledge and/or things the person does/did. So, I might respect someone on many levels or just for making it to a certain age. Yes, I can respect someone who has had a particularly difficult life for just making it through. More often though, I will respect someone for more mundane things like how well a tyer has mastered his/her skills, how much knowledge about a topic a person has, to what degree has a person passed on his/her knowledge, has the person charged for this service, has the person gone out of his/her way to help others, is the person supportive of others, does the person treat others as he/she would want to be treated, is the person honest, does the person keep his/her word and so on and on. I guess I tend to layer my respect of a person. I will say that there are even some who get my respect for what they have done but may not get it as a person. That might be someone who does some things very well but as character traits, falls down miserably in my view.

There are a lot of the participants to this forum who have my multi layered respect. I know this view is not as simple as maybe you were asking for John but it is the best I can do. You got my respect dude and it is even multi layered!!!!! :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

I'm not one to dwell on semantics too often but it seems to me this is a case where the words make a big difference.

I think it is common to be awed by and appreciate a persons skills. To me, that does not equate to respect.

I agree that it is much easier to gain an appreciation for someone's skills and respect their tying than it is to garner respect for one's character.

I have many layers of respect for people as well. A tyer I have great admiration and respect for is Mike Radencich, and I just noticed that he joined this Forum a week or so ago, and this may perhaps have gone unnoticed since his introduction was posted outside the Salmon Fly Tying forum. Click here to go to Mike's intro...

I have deep respect for many of the tyers in this forum, especially those who share so freely. It takes a lot of time and passion to achieve the things being done here.

Graham

Thanks for the heads up Graham! I had spoken with Mike about getting active on the forum at Somerset and have e-mailed back and forth a couple of times but hadn't seen him post yet.

Mike is definitely one I respect also as he has helped many here through his books and sharing his knowledge over the years.

Interesting topic. I'll give my views on respect.

To me too often I think admiration is confused with respect. If someone is a good fly tier then I admire their skills, if someone is good at a profession that they do I admire thier dedication, someone has climbed Mt. Everest, beat a serious illness or had a hard life and made something of themselves then I ADMIRE them...but that doesn't mean they automaticly get my respect. A person could be the most amazing fly tier in the world, came from a poor broken family and yet made a great living for themselves, climbed everest, ran a marathon, raise a family of 10 and still find time to hold a prestigious carer.....and I could admire them for all that, but they still could be a complete jerk and treat other people poorly.

So to me repect is all about one thing and one thing only. How someone treat's his fellow man.

Steve