Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap #3. FLOATERS!

THIS SWAP IS NOW FULL!!!!

OK. Things have gotten entirely TOO quiet on the swaps board and in my email inbox. So, it's time to get things rolling again. The holidays are about over, the bowl games will soon be done & it's time to start getting ready for the Spring gill season. So let's tie up some "topwater" gill flies. I'm calling this a "Floater" swap. Anything that floats and catches bluegills. You can use foam, deer or elk hair, or whatever, just so long as the fly floats on the surface of the water, and catches bluegills.

There are 3 things that I need from each participant. First of all, please let me know, ASAP that you want into the swap. Since there were a few tiers that didn't make it into the last swap, I'm going to set the absolute limit on this one at 20. And that's a promise. Just like last time, if you don't get in on the first 20, you'll have to wait until the next one. I'm doing this to try to be fair to the first tiers to sign up. I don't want anyone to join thinking that it's going to be 12 flies, and suddenly find out that they have to tie 20. So, the absolute cut-off is 20.

The second thing that I need from each swapper is that you send, along with your flies, an envelope that I can use to mail your flies back to you. Go ahead and put your address on the second envelope so all I have to do is put your flies in it, seal it up, & put it in the mail.

The third thing I need is that you put sufficient postage on that second envelope. In other words, each swappers should send me a box of flies and a "Self Addressed Stamped Envelope" (SASE) so I can get your flies back to you.

Each swapper will need to tie up, at least, 19 flies. If you want to send 20 and get back one of your own, please let me know that, either when you sign up, or when you send in your flies. Otherwise, I will keep anything over the necessary 19 flies. Fair enough?

Now, there were a few guys who have already said, "I want in on the next one," & I'm going to list those as swappers, but I'm putting a "Question Mark" beside those names until you confirm with me that you STILL want to participate. If we have additional swappers who say they want in before you let me know, for sure, that you want in, I'll delete your name from the list and put confirmed swappers in your spot. So let me know. I'll also be sending a PM, as soon as I post this, to those unconfirmed swappers. Please let me know ASAP.

Finally, for my pattern for this swap, I'm going to be doing a black cricket pattern. This is another pattern by Chris Helms, who developed the Predator pattern that I've tied for several swaps already. The cricket pattern is as deadly as the Predator. So I think everyone will enjoy having one.

Thanks, in advance, to all swappers.

1. Breambuster: Cricket Pattern. - Completed. :) - Completed.

2. Chrisfish: TBD - In The Mail - Received :) - Completed

3. luvinbluegills: Black Cricket - Received :) - Completed.

4. ncbluegill: Stealth Bomber - In The Mail - Received :) - Completed

5. Scotth: Elk Hair Caddis - Received :) - Completed

6. Chase Creek: Lake Erie King - In The Mail - Received. :) - Completed

7. madkasel: Pass Lake - In The Mail - Received. :) - Completed

8. djmyers: Madam X - Received :) - Completed

9. Pat Carroll: Foam Gurglar - Received :) - Completed

10. Iowaflyguy: Yellow Foam Spider - In The Mail - Received :) - Completed

11. joeking: TBD - In The Mail - Received :) - Completed

12. N Parish: Fire Beetle - Received :) - Completed

13. day5: TBD - In The Mail - Received. :) - Completed

14. RDL: TBD - Received :) - Completed

15. ronc23: Black Ant - Received. :) - Completed

16. Catalpa Joe: Glitter Butt Spider - Received :) - Completed

17. Seadog: TBD - In The Mail - Received :) - Completed

18. Purolohi Kalastaja: Hoppers - In The Mail - Received :) -Completed

19. Flygirl: Mini Stimulators - In The Mail - Received. :) - Completed

20. Fred H.: Deer Hair Ant - In The Mail - Received. First Set In! :yahoo: - Completed.

THIS SWAP IS NOW FULL!!!!

I'm in!!

Pattern TBD, but I'm leaning toward doing a smaller (size 14 or so) LA Ant. I've only done them in size 10 and they've caught lots of BIG gills and bass, but it's hard to get hookups on smaller gills. I'm currently doing some size 10 ones in troutish colors for the foam swap, but still... that smaller size would be nice.

If I hadn't done the CDC&Elk for the last gill swap, that'd be an easy choice for this one.

Might do a small popper, too. Gotta go home and rummage around. See what strikes my fancy. Could also use this as an excuse to learn how to tie a Humpy.

And of course I'll provide the return envelope and postage!! That's part of the standard rules, isn't it?

OK, madkasel, great to have you in on this one. You always do good work. And yes, the SASE is part of the standard rules, but I thought it might be good to spell it out again, just in case we might have some new swappers.

BB

Count me in BB. I will be tying something with foam as always.... maybe a stealth bomber in brown or black. Both are very productive for me in the spring but what isn't that time of the year.... :dunno:

Great! djmyers, You're in with a Madam X. That's a great pattern. I'll looking forward to seeing your work. Is this your first swap? If so, WELCOME. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can either post here or send me a PM.

ncbluegill is in with a stealth bomber. Very nice pattern. Thanks for joining.

Chase Creek, you're in. TBD. I'm glad you joined. Your flies are always very nicely done.

Thanks

BB

Hi Zach. It just means "To Be Determined." In other words, that particular swapper hasn't decided yet on which fly he will be tying. We try to post what patterns are already in so we don't all tie up the same thing. But until each swapper decides, we just put TBD. It's a way of reserving a spot in the swap before you know for sure what pattern you will be tying.

BB

You're in Iowaflyguy. Thanks for joining. I was really impressed with your tie in the Bluegill #2 Swap, & I'm happy to have you in this one

BB