Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap #3. FLOATERS!

Hey everyone,

Catalpa_Joe asked me what the legs and antennae are on my Fire Beetle and I thought I'd post here in case anyone else was interested. It's kind of weird. You know those plastic banding straps for packing? They usually have a crosshatch pattern in them? Well, you take one of those (I have black, white, and yellow) and pull strips off of the edge. You can then slide your fingernails down the strand to clean it up or lessen the size. It takes a bit of work and practice, but one strap makes a ton of legs. They hold up really well and curve or crimp nicely. To curve I just pinch between my fingernail and my thumb, and pull (like curling ribbon). To crimp, I just grab hold of all three legs ona side and bend. It also takes Softex well for more realistic legs. Can't wait to see all the flies.

Nick

C'mon spring.

Thanks to every one that is one great looking bunch of flys. :yahoo: :yahoo:

I got an 8' 2wt this winter for a dedicated panfish rod. That should be killer

with this bunch of flys. Now if only the ice would go out.

tight lines and heavy creels

_Tom

Got mine today. Awesome :thumbup: Thanks BB!

Now I see why these swaps can be addicting.

got them today. these are gonna be great for the gills!!!. thanks everybody

and thanks again for hostin such a good swap BB. U :headbang:

Hey Seadog, I Would love to hear what kind of shape your package was in when you got it? Did wrapping the box in newspaper keep the envelope from getting ripped apart? I hope it did. Please let me know.

Thanks

BB

Got mine yesterday! Very nice flies everyone, what a great swap! Thanks for hosing BB

Got mine yesterday... fantastic flies and ties, everybody!!!

Can't wait to get 'em wet.

Thanks for the excellent hosting job, BB.

Hey Seadog, I Would love to hear what kind of shape your package was in when you got it? Did wrapping the box in newspaper keep the envelope from getting ripped apart? I hope it did. Please let me know.

Thanks

BB

BB, the package and box was in pristine condition. Live and learn. Next time I'll use a smaller box i.e an altoid can. Thanks again for everything.

I still can't decide if I will fish with the flies or save them.

Thanks, Seadog. I'm glad it arrived OK. If you will look at the bottom of your box, you will see that there is a rim around the edge of the box, where the bottom in inset. That rim was the culprit. Apparently there was enough weight/pressure/whatever put on top of it that the rim cut right through the padded envelope. I was hoping that the newspaper would provide a little extra protection from that rim.

A NOTE TO ALL SWAPPERS: Please let me know, if you have not already done so, when your flies arrive. I am tracking that on the original sign-up, update list for this swap. If I don't hear from you soon, I'll be sending you a PM asking if your flies have arrived yet.

Thanks

BB

Hey BB,

Got my flies yesterday (Thursday). They are AWESOME! Thanks to everyone for making my first swap a really fun one. Looking forward to doing more.

Thanks,

Nick