Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyuser

Provo Utah - trout fishing suggestions?

Hi All,

help.gif Looks like work will take me to Provo Utah this summer for a week or so. Anyone fished for trout in the area? I would like suggestions on line weight(s), guides, outfitters, etc.

Many thanks,

flyuser

I don't know about Provo, but there are some nice rivers and streams west of Salt Lake City. The Provo River can be very good if the flows are up. On one trip out there a couple of years ago, I caught my largest Brown ever on a dryfly, 21" fish on a #20 BWO.

Current Creek and the Strawberry River are good places too. Of course there is the Green River if you're up for the drive out there. Call TroutBum2 fly shop in Park City, they can help you out.

TB-

The Green River is a great destination. Checkout 'Trout Creek Flies' in Dutch John.

Bamboo

Well I almost hate to do this but here's a link to the number 12 flyfishing site:

http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums/

IMHO It isn't nearly as good as this one but it has some good info about Utah. The Green is a wonderful river. I'm getting ready to spend a week there next month and I can't wait.

lanvaettir,

Don't worry about posting links to other sites, we know that all our guys will be back cool.gif

Thanks lanvaellir for the UTAH URL referral. I have posted my question there too. I suspect I will get a some PROVO "local" feedback.

Thanks again,

I fish this river 5 times a week. In fact I went up to the Green last friday, this river is getting to be a joke due to all the people other than fly fishers that use the river. I would not hesitate to say the provo is the best river in Utah by far. I do not think that you would need a guide if you know how to fish. The river is very accessable because the highway runs next to the river for the entire 11 miles of the best fishing. The river is broke into three sections the lower, middle and upper. The lower generally has the best fishing, and this is where I fish all the time. The middle has been opened to bait fisherman this year due to the overpopulation of fish. The upper is harder to gain access. The lower has some of the best fishing that you may find. The Blue wings are hatching daily around 1 in the afternoon. I generally fish in the morning because the crowds can be huge.

I have a friend that guides if you really want one. I fished for three hours yesterday morning and caught more fish than you would believe. There are large browns, rainbows, and some cuts in the river. There are also a few rocky mountain white fish. As for patterns, it would depend on the time of year you will fish the river. I also do not know of any good rivers west of SLC. Everything is east of the city. Be carefull what guide you go with if you get one. Generally the ones in Park City are a lot more money than the others in the State. I would personally not use the ones mentioned, because I have seen them crowd other fisherman. If I am available when your in town, I would be happy to take you out for a morning to get you familar with the river. I just can not let someone pay the 200 to 250 bucks that most charge for a 4 hour trip. If you would like to know anything else let me know.

I forgot to tell you that a 5 weight rod with DT floating line works best. But you could use anything from a 4 to a 6. If you want some pics of fish I would send them to you if you leave your E mail.

Thanks Odessa,

Your reply is much appreciated. thumbsup.gif

I am glad to hear you say the Provo is easily accessible without a guide. Are the access points well marked? I want to be sure not to Trespass onto private properties.

It looks like I will likely be fishing on the PROVO August 6-8, since my work is scheduled August 3-5.

Many thanks,

There are many access points that are right on the highway. Most are just gravel turn offs. A very small percentage is private, but this is only a few spots on the river. You can fish the whole thing, but you may have to walk a little. I usually park right next to the river. There are signs explaining the regulations at most of the access points. In august the river should be back to normal. The flow has doubled in the past two weeks to provide enough water for the June Sucker to spawn. This fish is a local fish that is an endangered species. I could fish with you on the 7th and maybe the 6th. Email me through this site when the date is closer. The river is catch and release on anything over 15", you are allowed to keep two browns under 15", they are actually almost begging for fishermen to keep fish of this size, because the river is actually overpopulated. I really hope they do not open this part of the river to bait fishing, like they have on the middle section. If you want to know anything else let me know. Matt

Sign in to follow this