Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge - Stoneflies

I want to get back to some of the fun stuff we did here in the past, such as the monthly Match the Hatch Challenges. No winners or losers, instead we all learn from each other, and have fun tying. I hope we have active participation, as in years past, and get to admire lots of cool flies and techniques.

I think Stonefly Nymphs would be a good bug to kick off the New Year, and I'll officially start the topic now.

Below are some photos I took a few weeks ago in the Sierra of Golden Stones as well as Salmonflies. I haven’t decided yet which one I’ll tackle at the vise, hopefully both of them before Februaries Challenge. In March the stoneflies will be hatching in the Sierra and I’ll be back fishing and photographing and the April Challenge will likely be adult Stoneflies.

Here’s a few pics to start with, I’ll take and post more pics of the bugs inside the vials I have them in now. Could even take them out for measurements….

Golden Stones

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Salmonflies

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

...WOW...excellent close-ups...looking at these pictures is giving me some good pointers...highly detailed...thanks Graham...

...I'll try this challenge and attempt to tie a golden stonefly...always room for a first golden...

I'll try a golden as well. Most of today's chores are behind me and now I can start having some fun. I'll go through the rest of my recent stonefly photos to see if I took one that shows the top of the bug. If I have a pic I'll use Photoshop to make some printable wingbuds and head shield.

I can probably fit hundreds of these on a standard sized sheet of printable waterproof paper. I'll be printing in a few mintutes, and tying soon...

post-992-1199064040_thumb.jpg

Graham Id love to see a realistic how to on hatches TV some time. I'm glad to see you back at the vise we all have missed you flies!!!

Thanks Day5. I don't have a digital video camera. Years ago when I was into the local monster bass fishing and when I first started going on fly fishing trips I used a video camera but it was a Sony that used tapes. Someday I'd like to digitize those old tapes as well as buy a new digital video cam. I would probably want to buy one of the new HD video cams but my wife has been suggesting for a while that I buy a webcam and set it up so that friends can join in while I'm tying.

Those are beautiful picture, Graham. How did you find the flies, just turn over the rocks? I'm going looking for some of those.

Ray

Hi Ray, I took the pics several weeks ago while fly fishing the S. Sierra Kern River. I used a piece of mesh between two dowels to trap bugs while I lifted rocks. I filled a few dozen vials with various stoneflies, salmonflies and a monster sized hellgramite. They stay in great shape for many years when preserved in bug embalming fluid.

I posted more pics in the Photography section of the FTF..

clcik here for more pics in the Photography forum...

Graham

Thanks for link, Graham, I loved the pictures. These little bugs can be spectacular in their intricacy, and in most cases, humans don't think much of them. And, I've heard far too many times people saying fish are stupid. I guess I've worked around all of them so long, practically all of my life, that I try to respect them all. Most have been here far longer than we.

What are you using as a preservative, alcohol or formalin?

Ray

I love these pictures, What is you camera? How much was it? Stunning photagraphy! It's nice to see you back on here.

I too have been away from realistic tying for a long time, I've been wraped up in the artistic side of salmon tying.

Thanks Ray and FTG.

Ray I use bug-balm which is sold at fly shops, not exactly sure whats in it? I have vials of bugs collected over a decade ago and they still look perfect, except for the faded coloring.

Fly Tyer Guy, I'm here on the forum almost daily, mostly in the Photography section. For the past year I've really been interested in learning photography. June of 06 I bought a Nikon D200 and didn't know the first thing about using any of the buttons and controls. It's taken me a year or so to finally start feeling confident when using the camera. One thing that has amazed me is how much of a demand there is for photos. Two weeks ago I emailed a photo of a white egret in flight to an Arab advertising company, to be used on billboards nationwide in the country of Oman, as well as on pamphlets. I couldn't be happier with the amount that was wired into my bank account. I had the cover shot on American Angler magazine in November, that was cool. The Orvis store in Pasadena sells my framed photos... Ive been having a lot of fun with my camera.

I've also really been having fun with bird photography, and I've started posting a few favorites online...

click here for a few bird pics...

Graham

Graham,

Great pictures. Thank you also for the wing buds. I have experimented with making my own wing buds as well. I love looking at your website at all of the different realistics. Keep up the good work with both the flies and photos. Thanks again for sharing.

Garren

Hi Garren,

Thank you! I really love the tripple woven stonefly on your website, it looks Great!

I would post a full size 300 dpi printable sheet here, but the file size is way too big. I'd offer to e-mail them but my outgoing server limits file sizes at 5mb, and the full sheet is 21mb. I printed my wingbuds smaller than the image posted here, but the larger size allows for downsizing while keeping some of the detail. The orignial file has the wing buds 7" long at 300 dpi.

I was having so much fun photographing the stoneflies that it didn't cross my mind until I'd returned home, to take shots specifically for making printable wing buds, with a straight perspective and no bright highlights. I have many of the bugs in vials, but the yellow coloring has faded. Next time!

I'm glad you joined the FTF, please make yourself at home, and please post some pics of your flies, they look fantastic.

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Graham

I'll love to host the pictures for you, and make them shareable for all of us who loves realistics :)

I have plenty of room on the server of my domaine.

Know that it might be a challenge to get the pictures to me, but I'm sure I'll find a nerd-way to make that easy too :headbang:

Love the flies on your site, and the fun orange dragonfly, it's amazing what happened for you, the ultimate approval of your tying, when not even the species you imitate can see the diffenrence.

/Henrik