Fly Tying
Wesley Klein

Smallie Patterns

I live near several nice rivers with many smallies in them and I am in need of some good patterns to tie and use.I once fished for them with a live crawfish and caught a nice sized one so I think a crayfish pattern would probebly work. please help me.

I like the first one the best........ :lol: But i might be biased it is simple and very effective. other flies Id suggest for smallies and you will have to search the patterns are the murdock minnow, the clouser, and the meat whistle. If you learn thoes flies adapting the methods learned will help you in tying many other smallie flies.

You can also try WOOLY BUGGERS. Crayfish,crawdads what ever you call them are killer. Try different streamers, and oh yea, did I mention wooly buggers. Don't tell anyone that wooly buggers work because it's top secret! :hyst:

You can also try WOOLY BUGGERS. Crayfish,crawdads what ever you call them are killer. Try different streamers, and oh yea, did I mention wooly buggers. Don't tell anyone that wooly buggers work because it's top secret! :hyst:

Oh yeah, and if nobody has mentioned it before, WOOLLY BUGGERS. :P

an olive or brown or muddy colored woolly bugger is a pretty good crawdad fly.

In my intermittent pursuit of river smallmouths, lead-eye (clouser style) bucktails in yellow, chartreuse, olive/black, and black; plus woolly buggers in black/olive, white, brown/tan, and purple; plus a few deer hair bugs in natural gray pretty much cover the bases.

All the other ten billion patterns I carry are just for fun.

But honestly if I had one fly to fish forever for smallies ......... Circus peanut :headbang: