Fly Tying

This is Flagg's Smelt. Rodney Flagg's fly shop is a Massachusetts institution. He's a great guy, and this is a great fly. Flat wings are pretty hard to take a decent picture of though... I have also been tying some Maynard's Marvels. Cheers, Alec

IPB Image

Flagg's Smelt

tail: red

body: silver

throat: white bucktail (goat hair here)

wing: blue crystal flash, pink c.f., blue c.f., two peacock herl, mallard flank tied flat

head: white

Alec, looks great and now I know what a flat wing streamer looks like ;) Have a few similar patterns here but they`ve never been catergorised. Any way looks nice :headbang:

Thanks guys. Mark that's a Mustad 79580 sz. 4.

I really like the flat wing patterns. I'm gonna tie more this weekend and will post 'em. Cheers, Alec

Very cool fly. I like the white head. I can see what looks like a bit of black thread at the very back of the head. Did you switch over from black to white thread? If that is an intentional look, I like it, but it would be really sweet to put a little red band in there - like gills!

Nice tying.

You got it Dave - but it was not intentional! I forgot that the fly called for a white head, so I switched when I tied in the wing. Good idea though! Alec.