Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaveG

As good a time as any

Well, I have been evading this for some time and, as some of you know, I have no problem "spilling the beans" regarding certain issues in my life.

I inherited a gene which causes me to have a condition known as "Familiar" or "Essential" tremor. Check it out. My Mother had it and so does my son. I can't tell you how difficult it is for me to place a screwdriver into the slot.

One of the tell-tale diagnostic effective treatments is alcohol. Unfortunately, I am also an alcoholic. Quite typical

After about 8 months of tying Classics, after several years of sobriety, I chose to resume drinking and the affects were striking and obvious both to my family's life and to my tying. Damn it...I could finally place a cheek or set a wing without shaking the whole damn thing to pieces...BUT...my life was deteriorating

I now look at the flies I tied during those first early months, and realize that I can do it...perhaps not with that smooth look but with a life that is centered around others...not just me and my insignificant flies.

Gonna try to re-enter life

As flaky as ever...dg

Thats too bad Dave! :( Hope things go well with you mate! Just keep your flies shagged - we know that you can deliver! ;)

Hi Dave, sorry to hear about all your trouble. Hope things going better for you. I have been a friend of B&B for 11 years, and it works well for me day by day so I know what you talking about. Keep the faith my friend, and dont take the first one :) :)

Hey, Dave. You're not flaky, just human and imperfect, just like the rest of us.

First, I, too suffer from an essential tremor, and it has worsened over the years. I was very depressed that this would really put a crimp in my flytying, not to mention my technical skills in medicine, but, at least so far, it hasn't limited me too much, though I wonder if it keeps me from the level of excellence I'd like to achieve. I've decided that I'm please enough with my tying to stick with it, but still worry about the future.

What really encouraged me was tying with Paul Ptalis. He's told me he checks this board from time to time, so I hope he either doesn't read this or isn't offended. Watching him tying with me over a weekend, I realized he shook much more than I did, and yet his flies were lovely. Seeing what he could do in spite of pretty shaky hands gave me a real confidence boost, probably a bigger boost than any skill he taught me.

I applaud your decision that the rest of your life is far more important than your flies. You have my admiration and friendship whether you can still tie your spectacular flies or not. Your experience will always make you a valuable member of this forum.

Your friend,

Leigh

The important thing to all of us is that you do what's best for you and your family. If it means your flies aren't quite as stunningly perfect as they once were, so be it. They'll still be better than 99.95 percent of the rest of us could produce.

Hang in there, Gotz. We're with you all the way.

John

Well said, guys.

Dave, I am sorry to hear of your condition. My heart goes out to you, my friend, as you work through this. :(

I think you will find that your family and friends are the most important thing in your life. My family have indulged me with my passion of all things fly tying and it has allowed me to make a whole new set of friends...yourself included. I've been inspired by each one of your creations, and I have genuinely admired your contributions and the encouragement you have given to everyone to the FTF.

Dave,

It takes a big man to post what you did in a public forum......but at least you know alot of us as your fly tying peers (young and old). We care about you as a person first, as well your family.

Fly tying is a small part of life, and sometimes we all take for granted what truly matters.

I'm sure that the decisions you make will be for the best, and will help your son in the long run as well.

We're with you all the way like John stated.

Your friend,

Frank

I have known about your condition for a while now but only because you had told me about it, not because it could be seen in your flies. We all have our demons that we deal with daily. Some have more demons, some have less but we all face difficulty every day in our own ways. The way you cope with your demon sometimes can take control of you and be worse than the original problem was and it seems you have taken the first step in recognizing and admitting the problem and have even made a public confession of your problem. Those are all very big steps to making amends and resolving the situation. Kudos to you for making such progress.

I disagree with you calling these "insignificant" flies as they are something that you are passionate about and something that is important to you. Are they more important than your family? Of course not and you should always keep that in sight but also remember that you are a part of the family we have here and that we care about you also. We would love for you to be able to continue to tie every day but we wish you would also take care of the more important things in life and continue to tie when you can. I do consider you family (sort of like the crazy uncle that everyone has) but I will not call you "Daddy" anymore like you kept asking me to at Somerset. :0

Wishing you all the best as you handle this!

Dave, just what the guys had stated, we are here to support you. You are like one big bro here at the FTF forum. I my selv know what you're going through, i have a lots of pasients dealing with that kind of problem (tremor thing). You have shared tremedous flies with us here that serves as an inspiration. You can over come all these through faith.

tyrone

Dave , I have`nt been on here very long but i can see the respect that the others on here have for you. All i can say is that I reiterate what all the others have said. We all have our own demons of some sort and hanging in there to the best of our ability is all one can ask of anybody. All the best from downunder

Dave i dont know you but Im wishing you the best, and I hpoe to see more of your flys. You are a great inspiration to us disabled guys and I know you can do it. Bye for now. ED

Dave, we love your flies, but we care about you as a person too. That's a bitch about your situation.

I can only add my wishes for a balance in your life, and that you will continue to dazzle us with your flies.

Peace.

Dave, tonight I prepared two replies to this thread. Both times I felt I went overboard on drawing a comparison between us. I deleted the first one and was about to amend the second when I deleted the whole thing by mistake. So, here it is in a nut shell (my shell). We share probably more than we know so far as personal traits are concerned. Want to do good work. Don't stop till we have everything just right. Drinking although I don't do much of that at all but I still am a recovering alcoholic. I just have a beer now and then. A beer or maybe two for an all day event that I suck on all day. You need the alcohol for your problem and I don't need it at all I just enjoy a couple really good specialty beers for the taste. I hate getting "buzzy" anymore! Still don't like drunks so I don't want to be one again. The point is, our individual journey's are filled with choices. Some are bad and others are great. Sounds like you are on the right track. Just know that there are folks out here that will do what we can to help you should you need it albeit from a distance. Sometimes just knowing someone is there is enough to sidetrack a bad choice.

I really can't imagine having a problem that the solution to it is a bigger problem. Just take care of the important things and don't beat yourself up on the less important ones. I do know that my tying has really kept me home where I'm safer from doing stupid things.

There are many more flies to be tied by both of us.

Can you believe that this was WAY shorter and WAY less about me than the two others?!!!!!!!!

Sign in to follow this