Sign in to follow this  
gigandet

Green Lady Amherst

post-12013-1199556226_thumb.jpg

I cant ever seem to get the toppings to touch when I tie the Amhersts

Comments & suggestions are welcome

Thanks

-Gigandet

I really like this one, :headbang: :headbang: great colours, better topping and head will done it even better. Good work :)

Yes, i like this one more also, much better topping :)

Very neat, the only thing I might suggest is using a topping with a little more curve to it .

Hi Gigandet,

I've looked at both of your flies which I think are very well tyed, I especially like this one.

Well done....

All the best Davie

Don't wait until you have your wing mounted and the fly almost finished before you select the final topping(s). Once you have your tail in, select your wing and select a topping that will meet (no pun intended) your requirements. Once you have committed to a wing your pretty well stuck with a topping that may or may not meet the tail. Break down and process a number of GP heads and keep the toppings from each head separate. You'll have a better chance of finding one that fits. Nice fly though. PaulR

Hey gigandet:

Your comment on your difficulties finding toppings that meet is well addressed by others. As a separate consideration...I noticed you dressed this fly on a hook with a long continuous bend, which will cause your wings to take on an even more exagerated angle (making topping selections that more difficult) Try using a few hooks that have some length of flat (straight) shank. Just a thought ....

Other than that technicality (and the head)...your fly is filled with quality tying and beauty

dg

Most of the comments I would add have already been mentioned. I cannot stress the point made by Paul and Dave enough, preparation of materials and the hook seem to be the biggest obstacles with this one.

Sweet pattern. As mentioned with material preperation and hook choice. The wing materials can be laid out flat under a small peice of glass and tail/topping can be formed on the glass to follow the wing and curved to meet.

Sign in to follow this