Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TigerTom

Tim England Magic Minnow

Back in high school, I would pick up FlyTyer up religously at Little Professor Books in my hometown.

What a great magazine! I really loved deer-hair bass bugs and enjoyed the work of Tim England. Well back then, they published the contributor's address so you could contact them. I wrote Tim and he was kind enough to send me this...

IPB Image

Would you believe I actually used it to go fishing?!?

Fortunately, I came to my senses & retired it.

Some detail of his initials..

IPB Image

I remember him saying this was not actually deer hair. I wish I could specifically remember what he used, I think it was antelope.

Enjoy!

ps I did have an attack of bugs a few years back, they actually attacked this fly. I work in the veterinary field and since have chemically sterilized the minnow it is now under glass.

Super cool!

Remember that the oils and salts from your hands will cause the hooks to rust over time, so keep them clean and little oiled!

Bowfin47

Wow you don't see to many ones like that anymore. Glad to here it is under glass now for furture ff to see.

Its funny that you mentioned Tim England. Just the other day my buddy and I were talking about him. I have subscribed to Fly Tyer since the beginning and I always look forward to seeing an article from Tim. Its been a long time since I have seen an article from him. Its almost like he just dissapeard from the flytying world. Does anyone have any information about him.

Bob

Funny you should be mentioning Tim England. I saw and talked with Tim at the recent Denver Flyfishing Show. He said that he hadn't been tying much these past few years but he was looking through Keough's hackles. As you might know, Tim is a Captain with Poudre Fire Authority and a trained EMT. Lucky for Bill Keough, he was experiencing symptom of a heart attack. Tim rushed him to the hospital and Bill was kept over night for observation, turned out he had some issues with his back that mimiced a heart attack. Tim just didn't walk away when he observed Bill in some distress, rather, to his high degree of professionalism, he talked to and made sure that Bill recieved the proper medical care.

Not only is Tim one of the finest tiers be he is the ultimate Fire Fighter as well. Thanks Tim for not ignoring someone who needed help.

Tak

In about the late 1980's I attended a two day class with Tim England at Hunter's in NH. We had only 4 people in the class!! I also stayed at the same hotel as Tim, we had many hours of conversation on tying and the equipment he used as a EMT Fireman.

The class watched Tim tie up a Magic Minnow and then we attemped to make one up. Very tough fly to assembly and color (Pantone pens and markers with saliva to blend the colors). I also learned how he makes the deer hair flys feel like balsa wood,,,,,,Steam,,,,we had a hat steamer at the fly shop and the hair was compressed and packed as fully possible then steamed,,,,,it expanded all of the crushed hairs and became very dense. The next step was carefull trimming with razor blades,,,,we shaved the hair like you would a wooden carving.

I have one of Tim's deer hair flys in my collection (not a Magic Minnow), he gave away the demonstration flys he made in the class. Tim also gave us large bags of materials for his fly designs, we ended up with 2-3 bags each since the class was scheduled for 12 students.

I have attended many fly tying classes since,,,,,,,Tim England is still the master of deer hair.

Regards,

FK

Tim was definately one of the best deer hair guys around. I have that edition of flyfisherman mag. and he definately got me going in the spinning direction. Shortly there after I met up with Chris Helm and the rest is history. Thanks for sharing that fly with us

Heres a Tim England pattern I tried to tie up, known as Lizzy's Frog, hope you like it

post-4571-1199843985_thumb.jpg

that minnow is stupendous, and every time I look at the pic of Bruce's frog I just shake my head... no way I have the patience to do one like that!

So now the secret is out of the bag, steam... I started steaming my deer bugs a few years ago and it made a big difference. Then last year I started using a brassie-type packer and steaming the bugs, and it made another big difference. I don't have many that approach the density of that minnow though...

Bruce: Lizzy's Frog is stunning!

I too, think that England & Helms are flyting HOF.

I lived in Dearborn Heights for most of my life & would drive to Toledo to buy materials from Chris

on occasion.

Great guy, vault of info.

As soon as I saw that fly I was ummm...I know that fly tier. Opened up thread up yep I was right. I bounced emails with him back in the late 80's and on the phone one of the best deer hair spinners still today..he inspired me to keep trying.

It worked.

MVC-414S_zps49efbb15.jpg

MVC-391S_zpsd0252da7.jpg

MVC-355S_zpsa1535726.jpg

MVC-331S_zps29386dd3.jpg

MVC-357S_zps9c4fb660.jpg

MVC-322S_zps6ecea8ac.jpg

0d0c9d1a-3dcf-49ea-8e35-136aad86f2fe_zps

Hey Mike, those are good looking bugs, man. You obviously know how to do good deerhair work. Did you ever get your flies?

Tim England is one of my tying heroes...I miss his work/involvement. He's had a big influence on my tying. My diver is an offshoot of his "Ty's Tantalizer." He really understood how these flies work. And that is a very cool fly that was shown here. Cheers, Ed

Hey Mike, those are good looking bugs, man. You obviously know how to do good deerhair work. Did you ever get your flies?

Tim England is one of my tying heroes...I miss his work/involvement. He's had a big influence on my tying. My diver is an offshoot of his "Ty's Tantalizer." He really understood how these flies work. And that is a very cool fly that was shown here. Cheers, Ed

Thx..and yes Woodpig showed up to the plate and sent me a pic of an example and it looked very good. I added to the order.

:)