Fly Tying
day5

Spider Grub

Dude!

That is awesome. I've seen you teasing that fly 'round the site for awhile now and have been wondering how you got the rubber legs to do that. What a great idea to wrap sililegs like that!

Two questions:

1. What size rod do you need to throw this thing? Would my 6 wt. with Rio Clouser line handle it?

2. Why the petijen tool dubbing loop thing? Why not just tie and wrap the zonker the whole way. What's the effect you're getting there?

The first question is answered by the second. I use my 6 almost all of the time. And if you wrap the shank form the bend to the eye with zonker the skin of the zonker soaks up water like a sponge and becomes to heavy to cast with a 6. The Petijean tool just makes tying the fly faster for production tying.

How did I do Day5? I tied these up for a local fly swap. They are for a Trophy Trout flyfish only lake that had LMB illegally planted which have taken over. We hold a annual "Bass Bash" where we try to catch as many LMB as possible and place them in pins to be redistributed to warmwater fisheries around the state by the ODFW.

IPB Image

Looks good!!! I gasped at the though of LMBs in pins Im thinking there going to kill them!!!! Glad to hear that you are just rescuing them form a life stuck in a pond with trout! lol

I love those now!!!

I just tied 2 in tube versions. i need to get more bunny. Plus sililegs, plus that petitjean magic tool :)

Pelhament, nice work! I've fished one of those that Day5 sent to me, and they move awesome in the water. Still have to toss it more since i haven't taken a fish on it. I've tied up a few and I'm getting pretty good at tying on the rabbit without the magic tool. One day I might get one.

JZ - how about a picture of the tube version?

Red and black, the favorite colors of my local pike. I added some toped chenile type stuff to the tail for some simple bulk, and good flash.

post-11346-1203716555_thumb.jpg