Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
J.Z

hooks

I dont think so. They are huge, as Ron said they are thin, there are way too many of them, and why go through the trouble of reshaping when there are so many more obtainable hooks you could clip the eye off of? Who knows what the reserve is either, could be $60.00! Thats just my opinion, CJ

The basic hook most commonly mentioned is the Mustad 3366. Should be able to find them around and get them for a much cheaper price.

Ok, that sounds good matt.

ronn- i didn't notice how thin they were, i held one of my 7/0 next to it, and it showed how thin it really was.

I wil go try to find some of those Mustad 3366 matt, i need to start conserving money :)

Personally I can't do with the round bend - and as Ronn said they look to be pretty fine wire, and indeed are a bit tingy on the point/barb.

Dave

ok, well i am going to buy 1 of each, do you just bend the dye, then taper the shank? my buddy takes welding, he could bend it a little if needed. we have all sorts of sanders that we use to taper nails and stuff... Anything else i need to do?

Read the Radencich book chapter by Eugene Sunday, read the Salmon fly article by Charles Judy (somewhere around the sixth or seventh one) and from there you are on your own. If you get stuck, pester the hell out of Ronn until he gives up some of his secrets. :devil:

Luke, what are you tying on these hooks you want???????????? mark..... p.s. Chaz is right.....you can just buy the 3366 right off the site. Click on sponser #1.

Sign in to follow this