Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WaterWolf

The Ghost (Marbury Version)

This is the Marbury version of a pattern called “The Ghost” that I believe originated with Kelson – there is a few variations from the Kelson version. Tied in that vintage Marbury style (long hackle etc) on a 5/0 Allcock 184 Limerick – just love the point of that hook and one thick marked shank… Attached is a photo I took of the original Marbury Ghost at the American Museum of Fly Fishing that was part of the 1893 Chicago World Exposition Marbury Fly Plates – I actually was not aware that Orvis/Marbury had done this pattern as part of their flies before seeing the plates as I had never seen it in any books. I also couldn’t resist attaching the other quick pic off the vise for fun where the original was part of the background.. almost looks like a shadow. Hope you like… an interesting and different salmon pattern.

Regards

Lee

post-4374-1199655801_thumb.jpg post-4374-1199655836_thumb.jpg

Very cool Lee! I love the hook and the dressing. This pattern is more "freestyle" than a lot of the ones we see today. Great work in pulling this one off!

Thanks guys!!

Ronn - actually the original had a flat or horizontal tail but was leaning to one side as the mounting of the fly against the background must have nudged it... actually the illustration of the Ghost in Kelson has the tail flat or horizontal as well (and the recipe does not specify)..... Also keep in mind that I had a difficult time shooting the originals as I had to shoot on an angle due to the placement of the plates etc

Regards

Lee

WOW! That is really awomse awsome one, i really like the tail!!!

Great job on this one, Lee. :headbang: :headbang: I love the Peacock herl instead of the black Ostrich in

this version. Not easy doing a large bronze Mallard wing like that! :headbang:

Does anyone know if this is a P.D. Malloch design?? I think it is.

Lee:

I've plumb run out of superlatives my friend. Nuff said............

dg

:D Lee: Wonderfully done! What was the underwing and why the red head (which I really like!)

Superb job Buddy!

Dave P :blink:

Sign in to follow this