Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Silver Doctor

Hi Guys,

Well I'm trying to come up with a Silver Doctor that I feel comfortable in submitting to the Mustad Open, It's not this one, this was the first try at a SD on one of Mustad's SL53UBL hook, not easy when you are used to tying on Blind eye hooks, if I could just push everything forward closer to the eye I'd be a lot more happier with this, also I botched the woodduck and teal sides, the underwing of GP tail is hiding and I'm fresh out of good GP Tails, The wool head needs work.

Any other glaring things I can improve on this fly?? I'm really looking for honest hard knock critques on this one, I've been tying this over several days and multiple sittings.

Fire way boys!

post-1500-1199664236_thumb.jpg

Its a nice job and you have pointed out its short comings. It appears to me the woodduck on the near side actually belongs on the far side. The overall appearance is very nice and if you had it 'pushed ' forward it would place well in competition :rolleyes:

Salut Damian,

In Scandinavia, they are looking close to your 5 wraps ( equal or not), bump, if they see thread and the quality of the head (your head ciment shouldn't touch the hook and feathers).

All together, you silver doctor look great. I find the wing short or your crest-topping too long, your ribs are not equal. The underwing, the tail and the silver body are nice. May be your tag is not smooth enough.

I am sure your next one will be a winner!

Jacques

Work on getting the tips of the wing to be straight by manipulating the feathers to align, use a slightly thinner butt, make sure that the tippet line is exactly in line with the butt (seems picky but it really makes a difference when it comes to picking the best of the best), aim for a little more fullness on the throat, and make sure that the topping and tail meet exactly.

My main critique would be to get a better hook, this one looks like crap. :)

All excellent points, thank you all for chiming in and being honest.

I'll sit down and review notes before attempting this again.

Matt: The hook is the mandatory hook for the dressing in the Mustad Open.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Damian.

Damian,

My personal preference is for the wood duck/teal side to have a curve that matches the curve in the main wing fibers. Try "humping" the side before you set one and see if you like this effect.

Charlie Vestal

ps package to you mailed on 1/2/08.

Thank you Charlie,

yes, i agree with the curve, I should have just walked away from the fly for awhile instead of push something that wasn't working.

I'll let you know when the package gets here. Thanks again. D.

Damian, It appears that the teal sides are mounted on the side of the hook (3 oclock ish), shouldn't they be mounted flat on the wing, prior to the roof?

We need to get Eric Austin to chime in here. I think he said he has tied this pattern over 70 times and probably has a lot of good information.

great job :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Damian, I know that the hook is mandatory but it is still the biggest thing "wrong" with this fly. Maybe I can get Eric to chime in as this was definitely his nemesis. :)

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say here Damian :P

Great points what the others have mentioned. To add a bit more to it..... This is only my personal preference on the subject and it doesn't mean I'm right about it :D ...... Try to make the underwing from a smaller tippet so that the black bar on the tip of the feather aligns with the black hook(behind the tag). The second bar of course must align with the butt so you'll need a tippet which has a bit smaller gap between those black bars. After that make the sides longer and align the bars of the woodduck with the bars of the tippet and you have a nice little detail that at least I would like if I was to judge the competition.

Hope this picture helps, just be more precise with the alignemts than I was :)

IPB Image

Timo

Thank you all for chiming in.

Now to go through and highlight all in point form and put it into practice.

Here's a rendition of the fly that I really admire and kind of want to strive towards...

IPB Image

Sign in to follow this