Fly Tying
jla_fly_tyer

I NEED HELP

HEY MY NAME IS JON AGUIRRE AND I NEED HELP GETTING STARTED IN FLY TYING IM 13 YD AND STORTING OUT SO IF U WOULD HELP THNX ALOTT!!!!!! :lol:

Hello Jon and wel :) come to FTF.You are starting at the right age and dont be afraid to ask questions on this forum. This forum has a lot of super tyers and many years of expearence if you add all of the guys and women. I am sure everybody will help you get started, so get busy and ask a lot of questions. Good luck in your new hobby. ED

Welcome! There are a few of us just a couple yrs. older than you (I'm 15). You will get all the help you need and more! I see you are from Waco, Texas. There is another member here also from Waco.

Hi Jon, and welcome to Fly Tying Forum! My name is Mark and I will be your initial guide. *bows* The first thing I'm gonna do is move this post to the general Tying Bench section 'cause that's the place for general tying questions. Then, I suggest you ask more specific questions about what you need to know, and you'll find a bunch of great guys-n-gals here happy to give whatever help we can.

Plus one teeny thing...turn off your Caps Lock button. In posting to internet discussions, using all capitals is considered the same thing as shouting and a lot of people tend to bypass stuff written in all caps because of it.

Welcome to the obsession!

Welcome Jon. Fly tying is a fun, rewarding and addictive hobby.

Websites such as this are a great place to start out and to use as a resource. Read alot, use the search function a lot and ask questions a lot. Spend time in the Fly Tying Bench section as well as the Beginners Corner. A lot of the questions that you have were probably already answered in those areas.

Another good place is a local club if at all possible. That way you can get hands-on advice and training.

here is a page listing all of the Federation of Fly Fishers clubs in Texas

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?...ch&mid=3215

good luck and enjoy

Welcome to the fun and exciting world of fly tying.

You will find the reward in fish caught on one of your creations.

You will also find that you can save a lot of money tying your own flies :lol:

Hi Jon,

I started tying flies after I bought my first fly rod at age 13 also. I could not find a place that sold flies (except catalogs), so I had to make them. I had no books, no instructors, and no internet; my first flies look like the cat coughed them up (hair balls).

With the help of the forum, young guys like yourself develop great skills in a short time. Ask questions, and you will gain much. Remember there is no such thing as a stupid question; we all have asked beginner questions at one time or another.

By the way, it was 40 years ago when I started tying flies at 13 years old.

Conehead

welcome to the sickness. everyone is giving you great advice. try looking at some of the websites with step by step instruction it will help out alot.

one of the best is www.flyanglersonline.com

let us know if you need help. and what you need

Jon,

Have you checked for local Trout Unlimited chapters? I would imagine that they may be limited in Texas, although if you can find a chapter, most chapters offer tying classes for a minimal fee.

Check your local sporting goods stores also. Many times they have classes available, or could refer you to somebody locally that may want to mentor you in the art. If they sell tying materials, they should be able to refer you to somebody.

Just a thought.

Hello Jon and welcome as well -

When I first joined the forum, the first place I went was to the Beginner's Corner Forum. I watched the videos by Al Beatty. http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=10953 It was a tremendous help.

Try it and see if it helps you. This new obsession will keep you busy.

Paul, don't make it to hard on him..... :D actually.....he doesn't even have to worry but the fish. :hyst: mark..... B)

Hi, would any one be interested in sending Jon some over stock material. Just a thought as I remember when I was that age money and material was hard to get. ED

Just a fw ideas you may or may not have considered :

For books on the subject, try your local library. Fly tying is in the "698-692" sections according to the Dewey Decimal system, I think. The Librarian can guide you staight to it, even if I'm not right about this. There are lots of pattern recipes on the net, plus tons of instructional info on the internet. You can get lots of free info from these sources.

You've most likely got access to a computer and printer. Print off some recipes and articles.

There are "Buy- Sell" newsletters/ newspapers in my area which allow free ad posting. You probably havr something similar iwhere you live. Try posting an ad here under "Items Wanted". This may unearth some tools, utensils or material cheap or free. Check the Trading post here and at similar sites.

Go to your local fly tying shop and ask if there's a group in your area. If so, find out when and where and invite yourself to their meeting. Most groups want to see the growth of fly tying in their area. I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms. My local club has purchased a spare vice and tools for guests or newbies to use and we keep it on our premises. If someone shows up wanting to learn, there's no problem to find someone to take a little time and material to share with the new guest.

Good luck in your endeavour ( Canadian spelling) !

Jon,

The nearest club to you is in Austin, so probably a little far for you. I would suggest that on March 8, you talk your parents into taking you to Fly Fish Texas held at the Texas Freshwater Fishereries Center in Athens. It's only about 90 miles away, and the Fisheries center is a great place to visit. I think your family would enjoy it as well. This is an all fly fishing event where you can get some basic training in tying flies and make some contacts to help you out. They will also have folks there to teach casting and a number of seminars. The link is http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visitor.../tffc/calendar/ . I know that's a little ways out, so in the meantime, browse the board here and take a look at some of the videos here and on YouTube. Good luck and welcome to a lifetime pleasure!

TxEngr