Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

1st Tube fly

Hi guys,

Well without knowing squat about tube flies, how to tie them, what to buy, things needed, etc, I decided to visit a Canadian Website that specialize in tube fly stuff and order some stuff blindly.

Well I got my package today and just finished throwing together this little # for fun.

I find this style of tying very interesting and really want to play with it more. I've got Frodin's DVD and doing some research online, so hopefully I'll come up with something more serious when time permits.

The main thing is I'm having fun trying something new.

Hope you like it anyways,

Damian.

post-1500-1199747225_thumb.jpg

TUBULAR!!! Awesome first tube fly, Damian. Your great tying skills translate beautifully. :headbang: I am looking forward to seeing more of your tube fly creations!!! :D

I got a bunch of stuff from the Canadian tube fly company as well. I too don't know a whole lot about tube flies, and bottle flies. I found the bottle flies a bit more stylish. Although they were a bit on the pricey side.

I'd like to see some artistic tube flies.

S

Wicked Fly man,

I recently started tying up some tube also, I find the large head on the flies i tie to be an eye sore. Some tie the head onto the liner tube, which i find makes a tighter head. But I am still in the starting stages... post some more mate, that fly rocks!!!!

Phil

Hey thanks for the encouragement fellas. This is all BRAND new to me, so I'm really flying blind. Hoping to get some time to really study others work and watch some vid's on this style of tying. Plus I need to order more stuff of course! LOL!

Hoping to incorporate some Rhea into some of them, and some other fanciful feathers, but I don't know about how artistic I'll get, trying to get my feet wet first, than come next season maybe get some tubes wet. LOL!

Cheers

might as well throw me into the mix too......I started dabbling in tubes just last week....I have to say Cape B, that fly looks pretty sweet for a 1st tube for sure!!!.......The folks here at FTF have been over the top as far as being helpful!!!! ;) ;)

I've been doing a ton of research on line just to see what my options are

I suggest checking out (if you haven't already)

www.eumer.com

www.tubeflies.com

Hi guys,

Well without knowing squat about tube flies, how to tie them, what to buy, things needed, etc, I decided to visit a Canadian Website that specialize in tube fly stuff and order some stuff blindly.

Well I got my package today and just finished throwing together this little # for fun.

I find this style of tying very interesting and really want to play with it more. I've got Frodin's DVD and doing some research online, so hopefully I'll come up with something more serious when time permits.

The main thing is I'm having fun trying something new.

Hope you like it anyways,

Damian.

hi Damian

Welcome to the world of tube flies :D

Nice fly by the way.

A piece of advice to you "newbie" :P When you start to tie the fly, make the plastic tube ready by melting an edge with a flame (see pic)

post-3635-1199801325_thumb.jpg

That way you have already decided how big a fly you are going to make just as you do on the hook you know where to stop the head in front of the eye. The other advantage is that you have a natural stop to build the small head up against. (see 2nd pic)

post-3635-1199801419_thumb.jpg

Regards Jens

Tube flying is very strange, sort of out side of the box type stuff. A teacher of mine once taught us that changing something in your routine will help you be more creative. I guess that's how I see tube-flies. I can see that you're well on the way to being a master with tubes.

I have attached a picture of my first set of tube flies (or bottle flies if you must be picky.) I got some earing gear an did them up for a friend for Christmas.

Spost-12607-1199802891_thumb.jpg