Fly Tying

Tried out some different things while tying this one.

Such as the tippet underwings....the first classics I tied I used the "z bend" method and tied them in with the barbules above the rachis. This time I tried the other way with the barbules below the rachis. I like both ways for different reasons, glad I tried it.

Added some subs on the tail for this since I didn't do it on the last fly. There a bit dainty but it's all I have right now.

I also tried tying the throat on after mounting the wings. I sort of like it since it helped keep the head a bit smaller, but I didn't like mounting sides, cheeks etc.... I couldn't keep the feathers tight to the side of the wing. Probably could have plucked some fibers from the throat but I don't think it would have helped too much. I don't like how this method elongates the front of the fly either. I like more of a "bull" in the front part of the wing. My topping hides that in the wing and makes it look like a ski jump or a swollen tick.

I preened this fly and the last one too much while tying. A few things came out of whack like the wood duck and teal came unmarried, etc.....

Do you guys store your wood duck flat? to help it lay on the wing better? Mine tents out too much even though it is tied on flat.

My cheeks stink like the last one, tried using the dyed ringneck sub this time.

The roof split on me a bit so I let it be on this one. The topping kinda sits in the gap....UGH!!

Left out the horns on purpose.

Wing mounted great on the near side with just a slight crease on the far side. I noticed that little crease on the far side is what makes the top of the wing open slightly.

Gonna try tying some easier married wings so I can focus on mounting the wings better, along with a few other things I need to work on.

Feel free to critique...go hog wild!!

Frank

post-609-1199752529_thumb.jpg

post-609-1199752544_thumb.jpg

post-609-1199752557_thumb.jpg

post-609-1199752572_thumb.jpg

Great work Frank! I really like this fly a lot. How many married wings is this for you? Seems like you have been really working at it from what I can see.

Crikey , I reckon you`re doing very well. :headbang:

I pair my wood duck into individual zip lock bags and store them that way, seems to help some.

Things to work on: Try doing a slightly tapered body and see if it fits your style, cheeks and sides which you already know, play around with a shorter wing/tail/topping to see what suits your style, and work on getting a hump at the front to see if that fits your style.

Great job for your sixth, but then again, I was impressed with your first. :)

Frank,

What I find most amusing about this fly is that it has the same shape that a lot of folks, who are extraordinary tyers, had in their first 15 or so flies. Look back at some of the posts over the past 2 or 3 years. Look at those who started. The swept wing look that yours has, you will find it on many, many flies. You've nailed a beauty on the 6th. But, you also did that on your first. Matthew gave sound advice. Hump the wing a little more prior to tying in, if that's the style you're looking for. Oh yeah, use protection too......... :o THat dyed ringneck sub is an absolute hog to work with. The rachis on that feather has a funky, stiff, oval shape. My suggestion would be to try and flatten it with a pair of sledge hammers. I store my Wood duck on top of a shelf, thrown into a big pile with the rest of my duck feathers.......Maybe that's why my flies look so shaggy......hmmmmm.. Anyhow, Great work! -Jamie

Great job, and only your 6th attempt :yahoo: As for suggestions, I think you're on the right track, but unlike spey/dees these flies have a tapered body (yes, I know, my speys are too thick :hyst: ) And just as a suggestion, when the receipe calls for a 50/50 split body, you might try a 40/60 split instead--this helps to give an illusion of a 50/50 split, otherwise the rear end looks larger than the front because the front end is covered with hackle, wing, etc. For a quick measure, that's the first 2/5ths of the body (or 2 of the 5 turns of tinsel).

Bang up job, keep 'em comin'!

Really great tying, especially for so early in your career. You are especially brave to show all sides of your fly. Not something I would have done at your stage in the process. Amazing what you can hide if you don't look over there. :hyst:

You might try wrapping the throat after the underwing but before the main wing. This seems to be a good compromise for me between the traditional throat first and resultant large head and the Mike Radencich throat later approach. He does recommend doing the sides along with the wing before wrapping the throat to avoid the very problem you are experiencing. I find I ofter bugger up the sides while wrapping the throat, though.

You just live down the pike from me. Drop me a PM. Maybe we could do a little tying together at some point.

Leigh

Congradulations Frank. Your making great strides. mark

frank, your one of the gentleman here that have made great strides in your tying skills. this fly is a testament to that fact. great job and keep up the good work,

Bud

1 of these days i am going to learn to tie that style of fly and when i do i hope my 6 one is 1/2 as good as yours :headbang: :headbang:

Rocky

Sign in to follow this