Fly Tying
Graham

Hmmm...

Hmmm... I wonder how much the author would pay me to photoshop the hook away, with some text below the pic, mentioning that I'd like to try tying this pretty Caddis, that I took a photo of...lol...

I still have both of the flies in the book. The red spider is the same one I send to England to be used by House of Hardy..

http://www.greysfishing.com/index.php?if=page&pid=88

Speaking of ad's, this is a photo I took about a year ago of the same red spider with my Nikon...lol..

IPB Image

So I found some more information on this guy, apparently him and his religious fanatics, classified as an Islamic extremist group in Turkey, all spent a year or so in prison, they were having extra-marital affairs with people, but claimed it was ok in the eyes of the big guy because O__l and A__l was not prohibited by the Koran. He's also had 1 international website shutdown for defamation, and gotten another banned in Turkey for something or other.

Sounds like a nice guy. I love the fact that he distributes these books for free, as a longtime member of the academic community, this guy is rapidly becoming the laughing stock of the world. Sadly, the extremist religious sects support him, you would think they would not want to tie their names to anything so flimsy, if he was publishing good sound arguments, that would be one thing, but a book of photos discrediting evolution is hilarious.

At least you know your flies you tied won't evolve Graham :)

Edited to add: His real name is Adnan Oktar

Hey, since we are talking about books here, can I do a shameless plug for a book I wrote and did all the photography for? My book is title When Bugs ATTACK, Live bugs eating live bugs. It's a children's bedtime story book with detailed photographs of bugs attacking other bugs. all these pictures were filmed on location and (unfortunately) no PETA members were hurt in the filming of these pictures. All of the bugs in the photos are live and are my pets. they each have names. The 2 on the cover are named House (after that show I've never watched on FOX) and Spider Pig (after that annoying song everyone sings.)

I hope you enjoy my description enough and the cover of my book to send a check my way. I'll get my good buddy Adnan Oktar to ship the book out to you once your check clears.

Here's my book, available in paper back, hard cover, and LARGE PRINT for those who like to read from across the room.

IPB Image

:lol:!

Wow, Graham, have your sales skyrocketed yet? All this PR must be good! Can have I have an autography, because at this rate, one of those would be worth millions in a couple years.

Hopefully you get something out of this.

Can have I have an autography, because at this rate, one of those would be worth millions in a couple years.

I for one hope his autograph is worth something someday. I have the first, and possibly only, autographed copy of his American Angler magazine from 2007.

We'll start the bidding at $25,000.

post-6177-1200083306_thumb.jpg

Oh, and the autographed business card on that magazine, we'll start that bid at $1,000.

B)

EDIT: actually, I just remembered....Graham didn't take that picture on the cover....I DID! oh, and magazine covers evolved from monkeys!

I got an order today for 3 house flies for Universal Studios, for a scene in a movie curently being filmed, in which a boy feeds flies to his pet spider...lol...

Hey Graham, you do want to at the very least contact the publisher of the book and explain that the photos and the rights to those photos are yours and yours alone. You need to tell them any future publications of the book must either give you credit and compensation, or not include the photographs. You need to do this whether you want compensation for the current use or not.

The reason you want to do this is to protect anything else on your site from future abuses. If you do not contest this illegal usage a good lawyer down the road would use this as a precedent saying all your work is public domain.

That is why companies like Disney go after every infringment they see no matter how small.

I've had to go to magazine publishers twice because a photo of mine was used by a contributer to the magazine. In both cases the magazine assumed the photos rights were owned by the person submitting them, but were very willing to make corrections.

Publishers usually take this really seriously, and more often than not are glad to help solve the problem.

Both times I had to do it, it was pretty simple.

Kargen, Thank you for your suggestions, concern and insight. I will look into who published the book. I have talked to a couple of layer friends who think it would be fruitless trying to sue someone in Turkey. But, we'll see.

Thank again!

Graham

I got an order today for 3 house flies for Universal Studios, for a scene in a movie curently being filmed, in which a boy feeds flies to his pet spider...lol...

Nice job!

Rent by the hour! (a wise man told me that once....he learned the hard way)

I think this is funny.

Below is a page from the book, and below that is a smaller verison of the original photo.

Somone photoshoped out the background, including doing this around the legs, and yes, they did it around the hook...lol..

IPB Image

IPB Image

What a crazy series of events Graham..Probably the same people who bought your Egret photo ;)

lol

Before we get completely carried away by all this, how many of us have actually been to Turkey? Maybe years ago, the bugs over there were hatched with hooks already in place, and that's how flyfishing began. Folks discovered all they had to do was tie on one of the local insects and haul in the evening meal. It was a welcome replacement for their previous system, which consisted of tossing explosives into likely looking pools and picking up what fish scraps were left. Of course, the few bugs without hooks were left alone, and thereby gained a reproductive advantage over the hooked variety, which soon died out due to being hung up by the thousands in trees, snags, etc. Maybe we owe the Turks more than we realize. (If you think that's strange, you should have known me before I quit drinking)