Fly Tying

This fly marks a milestone -- five of the nine Bergman plates completed! "Only" four more to go...

The throat on this one is a little unusual for my flies. I ordinarily use hen saddle or hen neck hackles for throats. This one uses the dyed chicken body feathers that John McLain at FeathersMc.com has been experimenting with. The barbules don't adhere to one another as well, but they fan out nicely.

John

Beauty!

The throats on your flies are always perfect, utterly flawless, then again, the rest of the fly is too. But I have to ask, do you use the Don Bastian approach to throat tying? Taking matched pairs from left and right side of schlappen feather? Also, what are you going to do with all the plates? Have you started framing them yet? When will we get to see them??

Well done

Thanks, guys! :)

Snowmass, you called it right. I use the Bastian method of matching slips of barbules from the right and left sides of a hen saddle or neck feather. Since I have both for tying full-dress Atlantic salmon flies, I didn't see the need to invest in a lot of dyed schlappen.

Right now, the flies from the Bergman plates are safely housed in large ripple foam-lined boxes. I don't plan to start mounting them until I've finished the entire set. When I do get them mounted, I plan to photograph the plates and post them here.

John

Another sweet and really clean tie John :headbang: :headbang: !!!!!!!! And that is a milestone for sure... can't wait to see pics of the whole series... that will be simply too cool :D !!

Regards

Lee

John! Amazing! I'm tying up flies for the Wulff swap tonight, but expect to see me back in action in a month or so (recent promotion at work).

I have some materials to order and some great pics from you to use as templates.

Thank you for the inspiration.

Jeff