Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
davpot

Herl Heads

:( I've been trying to find some GOOD information on tying herl heads the OLD FASHIONED way. (ie blacker, ephemera, Goku, Martin, etc) Is there a seminar on this aspect of salmon fly tying. Seems to me this topic is seldom addressed. Help please?

Dave P. :blink:

some guys like to tie the ostrich herls from the back of the head towards the front..stopping 1/2 way...most hearl head and wool type are tied on the back 1/2 of the head

i like to start in the middle and wind back towards the rear of the head...prvents the herl from sliding down the "slope" i've seem the flues pointing rearwards and forwards and almost perpendicular to the shank

way back when ...then applied the varnish then put the herl on...whatever floats your boat

try to select very fine fibered herl, ostrich or peacock...i like to use those long stringy strands of peacock sword found on the sidetails instead of herl...i've found ostrich from a feathered dusting wand with much denser and shorter flues than the long sticks that are normally used

wool...try using rabbit fur softerdubbs tighter neater

some guys like to tie the ostrich herls from the back of the head towards the front..stopping 1/2 way...most hearl head and wool type are tied on the back 1/2 of the head

i like to start in the middle and wind back towards the rear of the head...prvents the herl from sliding down the "slope" i've seem the flues pointing rearwards and forwards and almost perpendicular to the shank

way back when ...then applied the varnish then put the herl on...whatever floats your boat

try to select very fine fibered herl, ostrich or peacock...i like to use those long stringy strands of peacock sword found on the sidetails instead of herl...i've found ostrich from a feathered dusting wand with much denser and shorter flues than the long sticks that are normally used

wool...try using rabbit fur softerdubbs tighter neater

I use rabbit and mole - and actually when you see it on compared to originals it does look MUCH more like yer originals than if you use wool (fibre texture etc).

Re-herl heads I think the fact all those viking types can do em perfectly is essentially a fiendish Scandinavian plot aimed at making the rest of us feel inferior - try as I might I can't get em right - though talking to Paul Little he's start winding well waxed open thread turns up the head to create a gutter into which the herl sits - reckons it works perfectly - though I haven't tried it myself.

Dave

Blacker -

...tie on a black ostrich harl, give three or four rolls of it over the head, letting the stem be next the root of the wings as you roll it, take it under the nail of the left thumb, and lap two turns of the silk over it close to the root of the wings, and with the finger and thumb press up the fibres of the ostrich towards the wings, to make it stand even in its proper place; cut off the silk, and lay on a little varnish at the point of the head, and your fly is completed.

Dave, you might have a picture in your collection from "Art of Fly Making" :headbang: :headbang:

I think the fact all those viking types can do em perfectly is essentially a fiendish Scandinavian plot aimed at making the rest of us feel inferior

Sure Dave.

Beware of the Scandinavians. The vikings ruled, so will we. Now we are good at heads, wait and see when we get all the way to the tag.

Mvh

Martin

I think the fact all those viking types can do em perfectly is essentially a fiendish Scandinavian plot aimed at making the rest of us feel inferior

Sure Dave.

Beware of the Scandinavians. The vikings ruled, so will we. Now we are good at heads, wait and see when we get all the way to the tag.

Mvh

Martin

Mwohahahah :hyst:

Thread that has been well waxed seems to be the secret for me. I don't mean dubbing wax, I mean fly tying wax like the 621C recipe from Marvin Nolte, Paul Little, ....

The old masters always used well waxed thread because that's what held the wraps in place since they didn't have a bobbin for weight.

Charlie Vestal

<_< Er-ah-thanks Martin and Goku....well...I at least got a response from you Vikings anyway! And thanks to one and all for your input. Thanks Royce for the Blacker reference. I couldnt find it. I was beginning to wonder if he forgot to put it in the instructions! (Like maybe he was thinking..."oh, just do it...!") I dont think Ive ever seen the old style demonstrated anywhere...A nicely done herl head can add a LOT to the right fly.

(ref: Gokus Childers, etc, etc) If anyone finds another reference, Id appreciate a chime in!

Thanks again

Dave P. :)

Davpot, I was just joking! I was planning to make a quick step by step later tonight.. As the other said, well waxed thread and a bit varnish on the head before wrapping it backwards is the main secret.

Sign in to follow this