Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

OHHHH NOOOOOOO

Oh man, Try to be careful and after never having an insect problem with my tying stuff ever, here I sit typing this message after just killing the second moth fly in my tying room in two days. Can you say "NOT HAPPY" .

All precautions aside, something snuck in here, now comes the monumental task of sorting through containers and containers of stuff, desk drawers, etc, etc to find the source. Spray bomb is out of the question with the kids in the house.

Guess it's time to do some re-organizing anyways, good excuse to buy some more storage containers and clean up the room, and when I say tying room, it's just that, a 10 by 12' room stuff to the gills with fishing, and fly tying stuff and other clutter, 3 desks and a closet. OH BOY!

Lord give me strength.

How's everybody elses day going, lol!

:wallbash: :wallbash: :ripped: :j_k:

THIS....scares me!!!! :blink: ....I have been tying for 40 odd years,and have NEVER even seen an insect in my materials collection!! I fear I have probably become complacent. I too would have a problem with a "global" solution such as a spray bomb (no kids,but a very curious pooch) My heart goes out to you!!!

Sulphernut

That is terrible news, Cape. I have never had an infestation, but I got paranoid about it a year ago and put all my stuff in the freezer for a month. I'm not convinced that's necessarily enough, but I'm sure it's better than nothing.

A friend gave me a pheasant skin a few weeks ago and I put it into the garage to dry it. Before I got around to using Borax, a mouse got to it - what a mess that was. I never caught the mouse, but I still had to clean about half of my garage to rid it of feathers and mouse poop - they were in every little crack and corner you could imagine. I was not at all pleased. Fortunately it was just a ringneck skin - nothing to freak out about. But it's made me much more cautious of vermin.

-Shawn

I know you said you can't use the bomb and that is up to you but I would! I use them regularly and just set two off in my room with two fans to forcefully move the air. I do this at night and just close the door and let it go all night. You can't smell anything the next day. Wouldn't want the kids licking the floor but then again, I wouldn't want them to do that in any room.

I suppose that doing da bomb thing might be ok if I kept the fan on sealed underneath the door and turned off the air exchanger, I'm still pretty leary doing that with chemicals and the babies in the house though.

I'm going to pick up a couple more boxes of mothballs tonite and try and isolate any issues. Worse case senario, I send the kids to grandma's with mom and do an overnight extermination attempt.

What do you usually use Ronn? Raid? I've never done one of these before, but I'm assuming you just get a can of the stuff and stick something in the nozzle and let it rip? Better to ask first than assume.

Thanks for the sympathies boys!

They are bug bombs and the Raid is good. It has a nozzle that stays open so you just push it down. I open all my cabinets and many boxes when I do it. My room is fairly big so I usually use two bombs and two fans. The air really moves around and what I am trying to achieve is to drive the chemicals under, over and around everything. Like I said, It seems ok the next day. no oily films anywhere or lingering odor. I'm sure you wouldn't spray down the kids or dog with the stuff but with reasonable care, I doubt they would be allowed to sell the stuff if it were exceptionally dangerous. I also keep moth crystals and balls in ALL of my feather and fur boxes of which I have many. You need to be vigilant with your bug prevention. I do this every few months.

You can also by raid "smoke' style permethrin bug bombs which penetrate well into cracks and don't leave any residue to speak of. They involve dropping a little canister into a small container of water to set off the chemicall reaction. I've used them a couple times a year for taxidermy and fly tying....they work very well. They come in a blue box and run about $12 us. We remove pets and plants and (people) for three hours, then open the windows and air things out quickly after that.

Bug Bombs are not effective. They may kill a few adults, but that's about it. They will have no effect on the pupae and the larvae are probaly in a container with your feathers. So again the fog will not contact them.

They have very little residual too. Even though the can may say differently.

The best thing to do is inspect all your materials.

Make sure to store all your materials in ziplock bags no exceptions. I use Sawada's, they come with insecticide packs that do not smell. So you won't have to inhale that nasty moth ball odor.

You can also buy pheromone traps that will attract the moths. These work very well!

google "pheromone trap moths"

GSB

Gees guys, thank you all so much for taking the time to offer suggestions. I'm not sure what route I'll take, but for sure I'll be sorting through everything over the next few days and inspecting everything for pupae/larvae creepy little crawlers.

Thanks again.

good luck to you damian, im sure youll get them.

and ronn, ive seen your storage, albeit online, but thatd be a full time job, wouldnt it??

Damian-Find a Home Depot and get some No Pest Strips. Hang one in your room and cut up some and put a little piece in each of your material containers. It will kill adults, larvae and eggs. Change the hanging one every four months. This should erradicate the problem. Keep a quarantine bin ready for new materials brought in and place in the bin for two weeks. Good luck. I will post soon, the results of an infestation. PaulR

Sorry to here about your battle of the bugs.I had a few bugs a few years ago when I bought some new material. I cured it by micro waves set on defrost for 45 mins and it worked good. I also store my stuff in the closet with moth balls, and i seal the closet door with plastic. I have never had any more bugs but micro is a definitly a good killer and I found it did not disturb the fibres as long as you dont use heat. Well I hope this helps friend. ED

the best defense is a all out war dragout knockout teeth grinding offense. if any bug tries to invade my space he hits a wall of death

Bud

Sign in to follow this