Fly Tying

Hi. Since FeathersMC is out of dyed turkey. Where can I get good quality dyed turkey? Thanks for any help!

Hi. Since FeathersMC is out of dyed turkey. Where can I get good quality dyed turkey? Thanks for any help!

Think you're stuffed at the mo!

Dave

Thanks guys. And thanks for the link TroutBum. I guess I'll just shop around and I'll remember Bob Marriot's.

You don't want turkey shoulder -- you want turkey tail feathers. You can use goose or swan shoulders. The last turkey I bought was $20/pair. If you're not willing or able to go that high, try some of the goose shoulder. It's not nearly as easy to work with, but definitely much cheaper and readily available.

Charlie Vestal

I've gotten some nice dyed turkey from Jens Pilgaard in the past:

www.flytying.dk

Not sure if he's got any on hand now

Jens Pilgaard at www.flytying.dk

I just ordered some. Excellent prices. Jens told me the price is going up as his raw material supplier increased his prices. So order ASAP.

Rather than incurring the $30 international wire fee from your bank, plus the 30DKK fee from his, you can send cash, but be sure to email Jens for a quote in $US or your native currency, and to see what he has in inventory. Also strictly speaking sending cash into Denmark is illegal per the US post office, not to mention the risk of having it stolen.

Also Jens will be in Somerset NJ the last week in January, if that helps.

-E

i've bought quite abit of dyed over white turkey tails from Jens and it's really nice.

Paul, the link you posted has some at a very reasonable price if he has any in stock, be something to check into.

Bud

My mistake! I am a newby salmon fly tyer and sometimes confuse my tail (turkey) from my shoulder (swan). As gbflytyer said: Shewey does good work. He also gives good value.

Shewey has had very nice stuff in the past, but, at last report, was pretty well out of stock with no prospect of more raw material. Maybe things have changed. Jens has been the most reliable source for me, although his turkey is a bit on the smaller side when compared to Shewey. Still, I'd go with Jens as your best option. John has had the word "Soon...." on his website for more than a year. Given the state of turkey growing, I suspect good dyed white turkey tails will just get harder to find and ever more expensive.

Leigh

OK Thanks. I am getting used to working with goose now. Maybe I'll just consider using that for the time being unless I find some good tails at a great price. About turkey tails being tough to get, just last night there was someone in my local fly shop asking about ordering some tails and I guess they didn't have any luck. I didn't think turkey was so hard to get.

OK Thanks. I am getting used to working with goose now. Maybe I'll just consider using that for the time being unless I find some good tails at a great price. About turkey tails being tough to get, just last night there was someone in my local fly shop asking about ordering some tails and I guess they didn't have any luck. I didn't think turkey was so hard to get.

If I were you I'd buy it if you find it and it's OK quality - even if you don't use it yet (and don't expect it to do anything but skyrocket in price)- stuff is getting tighter and tighter at the mo (I know Jens is almost out and last word on John Shewey was the same - hence my saying you're stuffed right now - I'd buy up all you can afford from Marriot's if they have any in).

Cheers

Dave

Hi wrote to Bob Marriotts website to know if they could ship to Quebec city(Canada) with USPS instead of UPS who charges broker fees that sometimes raises the price to a point where it is not worthed.

They answer me that they could, but since it is ship outside the U.S, they need a 35$ health certificate fee?

As anyone heard about it, they are probably right, but i have ordered a lot of things from a lot of places outside Canada and nobody asked that kind of certificate.I did not know that feathers needed a health certificate when they are not on the bird anymore... :blink:

Well i will find another source...hopefully.. :crying: