Jump to content
Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyhead

Rosy Dawn

Recommended Posts

Well, this is my first crack at the Rosy Dawn, I left the horns out, could not get any Red and Blue long enough for the size I tied here. This is a 5/0 Harrison Bartleet, and I made the tail intentionally long on this fly. The head still needs some coats of cement, only 1 on it right now, and I think I should have brought the topping down so it just barely touched the top of the golden pheasant feather, but overall I am pleased.

 

Any comments are welcome, and certainly any critiques, trying to get better.

 

Thanks for looking,

 

Ryan

 

post-7919-1200025898_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have always enjoyed the rosy dawn, every part of it is awsome!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful clean piece of work - though for me I would have aimed at a lower wing - it's one of those flies that for me has a long, low torpedo profile.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Dave-

 

I know what your saying, but I was not sure how to get there. I made the tail long because when I took my underwing it was fairly large. I was looking for pairs that were narrow and long, all I could find were these wide ones. I stripped some off at the base of the feather, but eventually more and more stem was showing, so I was afraid that my wing may not cover the exposed stems. In hindsight, that seems like a foolish concern now, I could have made the wing out of less strips too with a lower smaller underwing. The wing here is 16 fibers total, I think 12 may have been better with a lower wing.

 

I was very pleased with the body of this fly, sometimes tinsel bodies give me fits, but I managed to keep it smooth and without any sign of tie off points with some careful planning. I have a few others I would like to try, and then I will come back to this one, I enjoyed tying it very much.

 

J.Z. - Thanks for the kind words.

 

Ryan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave-

 

I know what your saying, but I was not sure how to get there. I made the tail long because when I took my underwing it was fairly large. I was looking for pairs that were narrow and long, all I could find were these wide ones. I stripped some off at the base of the feather, but eventually more and more stem was showing, so I was afraid that my wing may not cover the exposed stems. In hindsight, that seems like a foolish concern now, I could have made the wing out of less strips too with a lower smaller underwing. The wing here is 16 fibers total, I think 12 may have been better with a lower wing.

 

I was very pleased with the body of this fly, sometimes tinsel bodies give me fits, but I managed to keep it smooth and without any sign of tie off points with some careful planning. I have a few others I would like to try, and then I will come back to this one, I enjoyed tying it very much.

 

J.Z. - Thanks for the kind words.

 

Ryan

 

Try and look out for slim tippets specially for full underwings - alternatively try Aaron's (as ever dead clever) technique with tippets which is to soak em and the draw them wet across glass so they slim up nicely and them leave them to dry fully - works a treat.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...