Fly Tying
Matt Inman

The ultimate vise, not including a LAW

If you were able to go buy the vise you wanted within reason (the LAW vise is not reasonable although it is gorgeous) what would it be? Understand that I will tie smaller stuff but 95% of my tying is Classic Salmon and I really need one to hold a large hook that won't be too rough on the finish. The one I am considering is the Renzetti Master with the full intent that it will be the last vise I ever buy. Anyone else got any better suggestions?

btw, I hate Dave Kline for planting this thought in my head and John Mclain for convincing me that I need this vise. :angry: I don't want to look like the homeless guy when I tie at Callaway in a couple of months with Dave Kline with his new vise, Stack, and Paul T with his new LAW so I guess I need a new vise.

Funniest thing, I looked at my vise yesterday and started thinking, "Well, it is tax return time". The Master?? :o Dang!! That's high society!! Super sweet vise, though. That was the first thought that popped into my head when I saw this thread, Matt. I'm a Renzetti guy. I've had the traveler for a long while now and I've tied 12/0's in it. The warranty is probably void, but it still holds up. People either love or hate Renzetti, there's no happy medium. (At least with the folks I've discussed it with) Dyna-king is a great vise, but they are just too hard on the hooks we work woth. If you don't want to drop a ton, why not get the new Presentation or one of the earlier Presentation models? I guess it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it will save you $200. But, if you're actually considering the master, then the $200 isn't an issue. Drop the cash, get the Master and hope Andrea doesn't sell it for what you tell her you paid when you finally go to the big river in the sky!!! That's my 2 cents, my friend. -Jamie

NOR VISE set up like mine. One jaw takes #32 to 12/0 plus!!!!! No mar jaws and you can do amazing things with it that isn't possible with any of the other big $$$ vises or low $$$ for that matter. I like swimming against the tide!

I'll agree with James I really like my presentation 2000 (2yrs old) and previously tied on a traveler that I loved, so yes I would go with the master and I must say I kinda hope your wife does sell it for what you tell her you paid for it when you go to the big rivers in the sky cause that would be the only way I'm ever going to afford it!!! But don't get in a hurry to head that far north just yet please.

Steve

I bought the new Apex last year - having felt like a cheapskate using the Anvil which I get on REALLY well with - unfortunately I've found the new one absolute crap - doesn't hold a hook worth a damn (though that may be me) - as opposed to the old one which is just fantastic (have been considering a norvice - but it's a bit weird looking and after the last debacle I want to try before I buy).

You could try adding some long, useless bits of radomly bent wire (call them bobbin holders) to your existing vice, plus a few nice chunky tap handles off a household gas appliance imn place of any thumbturns and then paint random bits of it white or matt black - people will just assume it's a custom made job and will gasp in awe.

Alternatively make sure you sit next to Ted and hope he's using his travelling vice.

Dave

Dyna King Pro ? holds virtually all freshwater hooks easily, quickly, securely, it isn't cluttered in the working area of the jaws, all the angles of the head are easy to adjust and its comfortable to rest your hand on. Okay it isn't a true rotary, but I can manage without that for most of the time.

Check out the petitjean vice. it looks to me like it has more adjustments on it than any other.

I bought the Master last year after wearing out a Traveler tying deer hair flys. I wanted a vice that would take the stress of tying deer hair flys but was adaptable enough to tie size #30 midges. Being able to move the head up and down makes it easier for me to set salmon fly wings too. It is pricey but I don't expect to ever have to buy another vice.

Lloyd

Hi Matt,

I use a Rennzetti Master vise but I beleive it to be an overkill for the tying of which I do. The Master vise has a friction drive used to rotate the jaws when production tying. What I mean is- if your wrapping any body material over and over to produce the same fly this is the way to go. The fiction mechanism allows the rotation handle to be turned rotating the fly then can be returned to the original position without the fly rotating back to the original position. Again this is great for production tying. However the Master vise does have an articulating arm which will allow you to set the hook centerline easier by adjusting up or down. That single arm is helpfull but two articulating arms is even nicer. With two arms once you place the hooks in the jaws in any random position you can find the the hook centerline with out re-positioning. If you seriously considering a Renzetti vise take a look at the "Presentation" series. Quite a few dollars less but does the job as well as the Master.

Have a great day,

Scott

I looked at the Presentation but with it only being listed to handle up to 4/0 that will not work for a significant portion of the hooks I like. The Blacker and Jock Scott hooks all are thicker wire than 4/0 would be and as I understand that vise would not work. The only two vises I saw listed for Renzetti are the traveler Saltwater and the Master so that was the one I chose.

I saw the Petitjean vise and it looks neat but I don't know anyone who has tied on it so I want a review of it.

Matt,

I also have a Master, and I think for big hooks, it is a nice choice. I dont even use that sprag function Scott mentioned, I just lock the handle down and it turns even with the shaft.

I am sure you will enjoy your vise, CJ

I didn't realize you were afflicted with vise envy. :hyst: I've owned seven vises and only this last one suits me. Renzetti's , especially the Master, are nice as are some of the others mentioned. Robert T just got a Dyna-King Ron Abby Signature and it is very sweet.

If it bothers you that much, I'll cover my vise with a towel while we are at Callaway. :lol:

If it bothers you that much, I'll cover my vise with a towel while we are at Callaway. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

I think that covering up your vise the entire time we are at Callaway might somehow restrict your ability to tie on that beautifully gorgeous much too expensive piece of metal. :)