Fly Tying
Matt Inman

The ultimate vise, not including a LAW

Matt-

I would recommend the Presentation 4000 instead of the Master if you are going to the Renzetti, reason being the material holder. On the Master, you actually have to pry it open in order to get the materials in the clip, on the Presentation, you just need to pull the materials down and cram them in there.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your change.

post-10292-1200061438_thumb.jpgWell- I certainly stand corrected on the Presentation series. They do show them to accept up to 4/0 only. That won't cut it but the theory with fiction disks still stands. I'm going to get a hold of Renzetti today and see if they have a solution to increase the jaw size to handle up to 8/0 at least. Again thanks for the correction.

Scott

I have been using a Renzetti traveler for a few years. I really like it exept for large or long hooks. They tend to slip. I just picked up a Master vise... Night and day man. Its sweeeet. It holds large hooks tight. And for winging you can raise your fly up over the plain of the vise. Gets the vise out of the way.

The Presentation 4000 and Master jaws are the same from what I can tell, I can get 8/0 Adlington and Hutchinson's in my Presentation 4000. The 3000 and 2000 have slightly different jaws, although the same principle of operation. The cam mechanism on the rotarys varies between all these vices, but the 4000 and the Master are very similar here.

Hope you have some success.

I tie on a Dyna-King Barracuda, and it doesn't mar my hooks at all. As long as you're careful setting the tension adjustment, it holds hooks rock-solid without shredding the finish.

Then again, I've been lusting after a LAW vise ever since I laid eyes on one. Darned exchange rate... :ripped:

John

Matt,

You already have the best vise there is for tying on the huge hooks you seem to like lately :P Your Fingers!

I have never marred the finish on a hook with em' yet :P

The best part is that they are free!

Good luck with whatever vise you do choose!

Aaron

If you were able to go buy the vise you wanted within reason (the LAW vise is not reasonable although it is gorgeous) what would it be? Understand that I will tie smaller stuff but 95% of my tying is Classic Salmon and I really need one to hold a large hook that won't be too rough on the finish. The one I am considering is the Renzetti Master with the full intent that it will be the last vise I ever buy. Anyone else got any better suggestions?

btw, I hate Dave Kline for planting this thought in my head and John Mclain for convincing me that I need this vise. :angry: I don't want to look like the homeless guy when I tie at Callaway in a couple of months with Dave Kline with his new vise, Stack, and Paul T with his new LAW so I guess I need a new vise.

You say this will be the last vise you ever buy, how much more is the Law verses the Master?

Just save a little longer and start thinking about who gets your Law vise in your will.

speyflyfisher

PS Can we get a discount if we do a group purchase of LAW vise

Dyna King Barracuda with the indexing option. I am not confined to salmon flies and tie mostly saltwater flies so in terms of practicality, this vise is, for me anyway, by far and away the best there is. The hook hold is second to none and i can happily make it hold any hook you can set on a fly rod.

I would certainly recommend the midge jaws for any Dyan King model as the standard jaws wreck hook finishes, irrespective of what you pad them with, but since acquring these midge jaws the problem is no more.

I read on a forum somewhere not long ago of a guy who has the "M.P" vice, and disliked as all the screws kept coming undone. It is trying to be to many things to to many people, overcomplicated, overspecified, cluttered and overpriced.

Similar descriptions can also be added to the C & F vice, although I haven't heard of them coming undone whilst you're trying to tie on them.

The C&F Vice is a really nice vice, though in my view it is for tying trout flies. The jaw adjustment is good, but i was not impressed with how well it holds a larger saltwater [or salmon] hook. The other thing that put me off buying that, which was pointed out to me by a fellow board member (they know who they are!), is the inclusion of rubber on the jaws which is liable to perish. Not what you want for 400GBP...

There is only one vise that for me too. I thank Hans and everyone who convinced me to go above the Master which I was 80% of the way there. And with two small kids, the love I have for this vise will never equal that I have for either kids but it surpasses one of our two cats. What sealed it for me was a two phone calls one to Florida and one to England. As an engineer in the metals business, I knew where the superior level of quality was. This was April 2006.

Don't look at the avatar for too long.

Oh, I forgot, I don't tie flies on a vise. I use world class instruments to ochestrate a harmony of colors, textures and compostions. Be it a black nose dace for my classes or my first Green Highlanders or Classic Grey Ghosts for Christmas presents in glass domes (I used driftwood and hot glue - damn to find out horsehair covered steel wire - who knew!!), to trolling flies I use throughout the year, the vise is just perfect.

I'll stop...

As usual, I'm the odd man out. I use a 25 yr old HMH. No problems. Doesn't do everything the new vises do (I have a Rensetti for tying trout flies), but certainly works for classic streamers, steelhead and salmon patterns.

The fellow next to me at the Fly Fishing Show West (Herman Boers of Holland) had a LAW that I would have stolen had not Herman been such an imposing gentleman.

Charlie Vestal

The LAW vise is great! I also own the Dyna-King Professional with the saltwater base. The Dyna-King is a whole lot of vise for the money. You can set it in the horizontal plane, which I like for tying the classics. I never damaged any hooks with this vise. The new version Renzetti Mastery has an ugly white powder coating. Which looks like cheap white metal (though it's not). They made the change because the old model would oxidize and turn black for some tyers (enzymes in perspiration) . I would have chosen a more elegant color. It definitely makes it look like a cheap piece of S**T. I've also heard the black anodized version mars very easy. A friend of mine bought one and the base had extensive rub marks all over. This was from rubbing up against the styro-foam packing during transit.

GSB

I think that I may have decided to get the Special Edition Master with Deluxe base because I can see some of the benefits of the black coating versus the gray which could have a glare. Does anyone have a picture of the black one other than the stock one on the website?

If anyone could take a pic of one for me I would be very grateful.