Fly Tying
Ethan

Enough is enough

OK guys,

Could I please ask you in the future to keep any "E-bay" items to yourselves. It strikes me as very unfair to people like myself who spend a lot of time searching and researching on E-bay to find that someone has plastered the item/s all over this forum.

I understand that this is an information sharing site, however, I think it goes beyond the boundaries when information is shared about a particular item on E-bay.

Now, you may reply with what you wish of course, but I think a lot of the forum members would agree (even if they state otherwise).

Items which are posted, seems to be items which the member either already has, or has no wish to buy.

May I make the suggestion that people looking for particular items post it on the forum, then, if another member sees it on E-bay they could P.M them?

Say what you will, but it does make the difference between 2 people bidding on an item rather than 15.

Thank-you for your time.....Ethan.

Sorry I for one won't stop - unless I see a bidder's name/handle I recognise - like peatyman or Bud's 9mm - tell us your's and I'll refrain if it's on - but what I hate seeing is stuff like books going to collectors who just want to shove them on a shelf as opposed to one of our lads getting something and making real use of it...

As a for instance I now know that the rare mounts etc that are being plucked off ebay early in the UK at the mo (much to several people on here's extreme annoyance) are actually going to an rich industrialist who does not tie at all himself and merely wants them to make up a 'set' of stuff that would have been used to tie in the 19thC... When you bear in mind that I and several others, each of whom have been after a cayana for years and were in the process of clubbing together to get it between us lost out to someone who just fancied it to shove in a box as part of a 'dead' collection of rare materials (that will probably, since he isn't a fly dresser, not be stored correctly and will probably end up mothed and useless) - to me it's a crime.

Dave

I agree with Dave. If you have your heart set on something, mention it here and I for one will back off.

To me this forum's entire purpose is to share information about techniques, literature, materials and in general provide a discussion about these flies. Salmon flies have three large challenges inherent to their creation: 1) literature and patterns of the classic flies, 2) learning the basic techniques and proportions and 3) acquisition of materials. The discussion on the board and reading the old books can help with #1 and #2. John Mc, Ronn Lucas, J Stockard, Shewey, Jens, Hareline and other miscellaneous outlets help with the materials and supplies. Often times they don't have many items that might come up for sale on EBAY such as vintage and rare materials.

I will always share the information I know (however limited it might be) about any technique, patterns, materials acquisition and any other question that I might be asked. I will NOT stop posting items for sale on EBAY as long as I think they might be of interest to one of the posters here.

Ethan, what item did you lose to someone that made this your first post in 9 months? Come back around more often and post flies as I love your work but don't know where you are coming from on this one.

Personally, I am more offended by snipers. I'll pay what the market bears or quit if my comfort level is reached. If we want the same thing and it is divideable maybe we can work something out. A few of us here are doing just that. You can't mistake my ebay id.

I think sharing information about materials is a good thing for the same reasons as Mr. Carne pointed out. My e-Bay name is flytyingisfun just for future reference.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. And all of them I respect, but all are just as I figured they would be.

Firstly Dave you imply that people like myself " want to shove them on a shelf as opposed to one of our lads getting something and making real use of it... "

Do you really think you are the only guys who tye classic salmon flies? You mention that you guys were "clubbing together" to buy a Cotinga Cayana skin.......thats exactly my point ! What chance would someone like myself have had?

Dave, you are an advanced member of this forum so I would expect most, if not all, to agree with you anyway, although I would have expected more of an intellectual response than "Preach on, Brother Carne"

I'm more of a private person and prefare to keep it that way.

Matt, thanks for your input, and I know we all have different views.

Also, I haven't posted in 9 months for personal reasons of which I'm not prepared to divulge, but thanks for the reminder.

Anyway it's food for thought, and thanks for you replies.

Ethan.

Dave, you are an advanced member of this forum so I would expect most, if not all, to agree with you anyway, although I would have expected more of an intellectual response than "Preach on, Brother Carne"

Ethan.

Are you kidding me?? Ethan, you're hilarious!!! I make the comment, not for lack of intellectual prowess, but more for the effect. Whatever, I'm not gonna get into a pissing match over something as trivial as "Stop posting Ebay auctions". Give me a break. Sorry, if I have stepped out of line with this, but get a grip. -Intellectually stunted NorthWest Pennsyltuckian :o

Hey James,

Your getting yourself into a pissing match. It was simply a serious comment that didn't warrant a smart one. Think for yourself instead of following a "Pied piper"........

E.

p.s I love your flies

it's ebay, you are supposed to bid on something, not just hide something away to yourself, let otherpeople know about it, if you have plenty, or don't want any of that particular item, tell people about it so that they may beinfit. As you call it"a pissing match), never has any benifit on this forum, because, really, you can type anything, but i bet (in other forums) people wouldn't fight about such a thing of little importance face to face. Also when everyone wanted to pitch in for a cotinga skin, it gives people, who have never even seen a fly in person that has cotinga, to have some at a very good price.

luke

Thanks J.Z,

I know where your coming from but imagine this.....I am selling a Cotinga Cayana skin on E-bay, that you are watching, and there is 30min left with 2 bids at $400. You a willing to go to $600 but all of a sudden you found it posted on this forum and it goes to $800.....Still happy? I'm not imlpying that if someone on thid forum bought it they wouldn't sell you some feathers, but it's not really the same if you had got it for $550 is it? Hypothetically of course..

And believe me, I would say it face to face....

E.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. And all of them I respect, but all are just as I figured they would be.

Firstly Dave you imply that people like myself " want to shove them on a shelf as opposed to one of our lads getting something and making real use of it... "

Do you really think you are the only guys who tye classic salmon flies? You mention that you guys were "clubbing together" to buy a Cotinga Cayana skin.......thats exactly my point ! What chance would someone like myself have had?

Ethan.

NO I was talking of NON-tying collectors and more specifically of the NON-tying collector I mentioned re-the Cayana skin on ebay... Surely it's better that 3 of us share a skin than none of us get it? The going rate on a whole skin/mount is racing out of my reach, let alone many members on here who are students or still at school (one of whom was aiming to split the skin with me and given who he is - easily one of the 2 or 3 the best classic tyers in the world today - undoubtedly deserved to get a piece of it FAR more than you or I).

I would also ask that you remain civil towards other members of the forum - just because they happen to agree with me (and are lighthearted about it) rather than you it doesn't mean they can't think for themselves. Jamie is one of the finest tyers there is and should be treated with the respect he deserves.

Cheers

Dave

PS Re-the cayana skin - I offered $800 initially, when the seller had been offered over $1200 and turned it down - I understand it went for over $2000 when the sale was ended early.