Fly Tying
Ethan

Enough is enough

Everyone-seems things are getting waaaaay to serious about this. Isn't this a hobby? Sharing information with friends, some new, some old. I've seen more material exchange hands here than on ebay in the past six months. Be patient, express your needs/desires and the stuff will come your way. Generosity of information and materials reins supreme here on the forum. Let's not lose track of our little hobby and let it control us. Best of all have fun! My two cents/sense! PaulR

Dave,

This is a discussion.....not argument and of course I will remain civil. I also reserve a LOT of respect for the tyers here, yourself included. What I do deplore is the fact that you think I have taken a personal grudge on the forum members. You mention first "As a for instance I now know that the rare mounts etc that are being plucked off ebay early in the UK at the mo (much to several people on here's extreme annoyance) ....then you say.."I offered $800 initially, when the seller had been offered over $1200 and turned it down" !! Isn't that a contradiction?

I have seen a materials list posted here......why not offer to buy those skins? If the owner doesn't sell the skin(or any feathers) are you implying that the owners are greedy and want to keep the skins for themselves?

E.

Thanks J.Z,

I know where your coming from but imagine this.....I am selling a Cotinga Cayana skin on E-bay, that you are watching, and there is 30min left with 2 bids at $400. You a willing to go to $600 but all of a sudden you found it posted on this forum and it goes to $800.....Still happy? I'm not imlpying that if someone on thid forum bought it they wouldn't sell you some feathers, but it's not really the same if you had got it for $550 is it? Hypothetically of course..

And believe me, I would say it face to face....

E.

i wouldn't take it as that big of a deal, someone else had more money, i would be a little dissapoionted, but, i bet that most of the time, that person, has more experience, and if i were to have really, anything that rare, i would end up wasting it. You just have to respect the winner and go on with life, now i have to go the game... Go troy!!!

I'm sorry but I'm kind of with Ethan on this one. I know that you guys are trying to do a good thing suggesting stuff here that you find interesting but are not in need of yourself. But as I see it everything "advertised" here has sold for much more than it should have and I haven't seen much of them go to the active members of the forum. I usually drop out of bidding if someone mentions it here because I know I don't have the money that some guys here have. Being poor isn't easy and I hate it when people give free hints to the rich guys. Search actively on ebay and you find the stuff mentioned here. If you really need it you know what to search for yourself.

Just my poor two cents.

Timo

Hi TKontio,

My wish is certainly not to divide you guys, but I'm glad someone has grasped my point...however obscure that might have been ! I think TKontio has sumed it up my point better than me !

E

i'll ask nicely, please. calm down and keep it civilized. respect to others and the forum is the key here. Ethan, i and others here respect your ideas and thoughts on this matter, what you need to know is it has been a custom here to let others know when anyone sees something interesting for sale on ebay. this has been going on here on the forum since it was first started. althought this has certainly been detremental to some bidding on certain merchandise, it has also been very helpful for many here when they themselves might be looking for a certain material. we have an ongoing understanding that if a member brings up a particular ebay sale and they are bidding on it, the other members back off or stay away from it out of respect to the forum member as dave carne mentioned. as paul rossman also mentioned. if your looking for any materials in particular and post a thread stating what your looking for, many here will go out of their way to help you as best they can and again as paul mentioned, many more trades and help with unobtainable materials have exchanged hands here than on ebay.

bud

Yep, not trying to "take sides" on this one. If someone disagrees with me that's fine by me it doesn't mean that we can't agree on other things. Flytying shouldn't be so serious.

I admit that I'm a sniper and I know that many people find that annoying. I can't see the difference in that way of bidding except that I place one bid that I'm willing to pay for the item instead of continuously making higher bids when I get outbid. I do this because I don't have much money and I have to do everything trying to save a penny. I have just been so irritated with this thing for awhile that I had say something.

How many have actually gotten something advertised here for a bargain or even at a price that it would cost in a shop ?

Timo

Edit. I'm also concerned on this subject because I think that novices get screwed by this thing unintentionally. People starting out see a author they respect post some item here and they bid without knowing the actual value. When they find out they paid too much it can be a big turnoff towards the hobby especially for the young guys who put their savings on this thing.

Dave,

This is a discussion.....not argument and of course I will remain civil. I also reserve a LOT of respect for the tyers here, yourself included. What I do deplore is the fact that you think I have taken a personal grudge on the forum members. You mention first "As a for instance I now know that the rare mounts etc that are being plucked off ebay early in the UK at the mo (much to several people on here's extreme annoyance) ....then you say.."I offered $800 initially, when the seller had been offered over $1200 and turned it down" !! Isn't that a contradiction?

I have seen a materials list posted here......why not offer to buy those skins? If the owner doesn't sell the skin(or any feathers) are you implying that the owners are greedy and want to keep the skins for themselves?

E.

Sorry I'm a bit lost here - are you reading my postings? The guy I refer to IS NOT a tyer and is ONLY buying the materials for his personal, private collection of materials that he wants to own to go with his period vice and the like and his collection of Hardy Gaffs (his main interest) - he is not aiming to use them because he can't tie and has no wish to learn - these materials will not be shared, sold or even publicly displayed (the only reason I know about them is because the period tackle dealer he buys a lot of stuff off happens to be a client of mine - this guy is apparently so rich that he owns 6 miles of Dee fishing that he keeps just for himself).

When I started making offers on the cayana (the $800 was just a start) it was with a view to either buying for myself and sharing some of the feathers or indeed splitting the skin as mentioned with 2 or 3 others if it got beyond my means.

Materials list posted here??????????????? Are you talking about the one about a 18 months ago? If so then yes I bought a fairy bluebird off it - but there was no cayana skin as I remember.

TK - the biggest ebay spender by far on here is also (along with JMc of course) probably the most generous guy I have ever had the the privilige to know. As for high prices - I'm ultra, ultra skint myself at the mo (see-moneypit - so if I do spend a large amount it HURTS) - if I see something I know is worth having that I either have or can't afford, I'll make damn sure one of my friends who I know may also be interested in it has the opportunity to buy it - especially since being in the UK a lot goes through our ebay that the US guys may not see - particularly because the searches on ebay are such a mess nowadays (I've missed numerous things I was looking for because they've not come up through the searches I use - even though they should have done - and I've only found out about them after the event ).

Cheers

Dave

TK - the biggest ebay spender by far on here is also (along with JMc of course) probably the most generous guy I have ever had the the privilige to know. As for high prices - I'm ultra, ultra skint myself at the mo (see-moneypit - so if I do spend a large amount it HURTS) - if I see something I know is worth having that I either have or can't afford, I'll make damn sure one of my friends who I know may also be interested in it has the opportunity to buy it - especially since being in the UK a lot goes through our ebay that the US guys may not see - particularly because the searches on ebay are such a mess nowadays (I've missed numerous things I was looking for because they've not come up through the searches I use - even though they should have done - and I've only found out about them after the event ).

Cheers

Dave

I wasn't going to post anymore to this thread but I still feel I have something to say about this.

First of all I'm (of course) not saying that those who have more money than me are bad persons, I just think they should do their own "dirty work" and go searching the ebay. The only way I'm ever going to get some interesting stuff on ebay is that no-one else finds it.

Second if you want to inform your buddys about an item wouldn't it be fair to your friends to try get it to them as cheap as possible? How can you know that the guy who bought the cotinga didn't find out about it from here. I was going to give my best shot at it before it was mentioned here. After it had appeared here it suddenly disappeared from ebay and was sold off the record. Wonder why that happened ;)

As mentioned I'm not trying to blame anyone and if someone wants to continue posting items here then feel free to do so.

Timo

Hi Dave,

The materials list I was referring to is the one at the top of the site including Cayana, Gymnogene, Maynana ect. Sorry If you picked this up wrong.

Ethan

We all know we are in a Material drought. So when the Rare and unusual items come up on E-Bay there is high demand. I personally don't believe that posting auctions here changes the equation much. I have a feeling most of us are scanning E-bay daily for those items already.

GSB

PFA (Pretty Feather Affliction) is alive and well.

Just think about the commercial ebay could make regarding competitive shopping for ATS tiers...

(If you are in the US you know the commercials I am referring to -not sure about other regions).

I think this thread is a good discussion as it does show that even though the intentions of the forum members is good, the forum can also help others not quite as helpful and generous as those on the board. So there is a counter action with every action - but so is the way with forums...

I am looking forward to ordering a few orange weaver's from jens this year. Woohoo!! So I think Cotanga feathers will be extinct once I get to thinking about buying them....

I am afraid it won't be me bidding on the birds. However, I have bought some Macaw Horns and put on a bid for that vermillion flycatcher.

Damn, i was just about, (after reading this entire thread) to post bout how depressing this was.....(kinna like goin' fishin' and gettin' skunked), but then i gotta bite. :lol: .............OOOOooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jens. :hyst: mark..... B) ..........20 minutes later........p.s. THANKX! Tripel-Eye.....just got an email off to Jens. :yahoo: ;)