Fly Tying
Ethan

Enough is enough

One thing about this site, it's amazing what it can affect. On another post someone mentioned that Bob Marriott had Dyed White Turkey at a pretty good price ($6.95). I called there this afternoon and they were wondering what had happened. They had the dyed white turkey in their inventory from 2006 and hadn't sold any of it until last night. They are sold out ! They were amazed and thought a bomb had dropped. :hyst:

Their dyed white came from Denmark, so they are going to be surprised when they try to get some inventory to replace it.

This site does affect the market place....

I understand both sides of the argument and really can't say i would be on one side of the fence or the other but between all the folks here that do tie and all the people that just lurk on this site... Hell I lurked on her for almost a year before I signed up so who knows how many people have seen those posts. I don't know though kind of a wishy washy subject either way really but it is nice that the guys that are doing some of the posting are looking out for one another as best they can. Heck if I was bidding on something cool I wouldn't be afraid to PM a few guys and say hey would you want to split this with me or at least try and let me have it if it goes cheap enough, but I'm not that proud I guess.

Steve

Royce, they "thought" right. A BOMB did go off. :hyst:

Steve, you heard bout the old lady that went to a baseball game for the first time and didn't know the rules? Willie Mays came up to bat and they walked him.....so when he starts walkin' to first, the lady yells RUN Willie, RUN Wille".......the guy sittin' next to her says, "lady, be cool, he got four balls." Then she yells....."Walk Proud Willie, Walk Proud." .....mark..... :hyst: :P :D :lol: ;)

I am selling a Cotinga Cayana skin on E-bay, that you are watching, and there is 30min left with 2 bids at $400. You a willing to go to $600 but all of a sudden you found it posted on this forum and it goes to $800.....

Ethan,

I don't know where you are located, but I am from Texas. I have gone to many auctions in my life from cattle to antiques, and I have bought at all; ebay is an auction, too, although not face to face. I love them for many reasons, but the fact about auctions is a new person may enter anytime and bid an item up. I've been bidding on cattle before when a new bidder raises his or her hand and the cow's price jumps a bunch. If I want her at the new price, I keep on bidding; if not, I stop and wait for another.

On ebay, I do the same. I may start a bid, and often I follow it through until I win, but if the bid gets richer than I want, I drop out even though I may want the item badly, just not badly enough to spend more than I think warranted. There is no way to prevent an influx of bidders on ebay because millions are waching, searching and waiting for a good buy just like you and I. But, I, just like you, am frustrated sometimes when this happens. The problem on an auction, though, is there's just no way around it; sometimes you're going to win, sometimes not. Its an auction after all.

Many here view posting ebay sightings as a helping hand, as Dave mentioned, leading them to something they hadn't seen before. To me, that is a valid reason for posting sightings.

Probably the best way to at least help a little is to post screen names. Mine is hraye1. If I have bid on something you want, the books for instance, PM me and I will not bid again. There are two I don't have, THE LAND AND WATER SALMON FLIES 1886 TO 1902 by KELSON, and THE SALMON FLIES OF MAJOR JOHN P. TRAHERNE by Schmookler. If you want either of those books, please let me know.

Otherwise, I believe you are fighting a losing battle in restricting access through this forum; it just won't happen I am sure.

Take care, Ethan and I hope to see you here more.

Ray

P.S.

Ronn mentioned no one could miss his ebay name; I have no idea what it is. The same hold true for every other person here. Post your screen name; let me see them, and if I recognize it on an item, I will not bid.

I don't really have much to add to this discussion other than I value everyone's opinion and see pro's and con's to the subject at hand, however having posted items from ebay here in the past, I will from time to time continue to do so in hopes that it might help someone get something they need or want.

I myself a month ago saw a post by a member on a good deal for a 1948 edition of Pryce Tannatt and I snapped it up, it's sitting here beside me. I thank that person for posting, if someone else missed it, well I guess that's just the name of the game, same situation occurs when stuff goes up for sale in the trading forum down below, good case in point was a huge collection of great quality classic materials at a real good price, I was interested but missed out, oh well, someone else got it and low and behold look at what he's doing with it now.

If I win I win, If I lose I lose, I don't bid against members here that I recognize, if you recognize my handle (flytyer30) contact me and either I'll back off or we'll work out a split together if one of us wins, I was contacted just the other week by a member wanting to do this with me, noticed I was bidding and contacted me, I really appreciated that and we worked out a deal, but in the end we were both outbid.

I can see all points of view on this subject and I'm sure an item being posted on here does have some effect on the bidding, but some guys just bid and bid and bid, instead of waiting, driving the price through the roof alot of the stuff get's inflated anyways, that's what auctions are all about, Going to the Highest bidder. You will get deals on ebay but I find more often than not, you are always paying more for items in the end, it's more of a convienience, especially in a remote area like I'm in, access to such items is an issue, Ebay brings me to a worldwide fly tying superstore.

Guess I lied about not having much to say. I like Bud and Will don't want to see this discussion going south and I think so far it's stayed pretty respectful, points of views being shared and it's obvious that people feel very strongly about it and t hat's ok.

Damian.

Im sure every angle of this has already been covered with all these posts, but i feel like Im still missing something. :dunno:

Ebay is a public auction... whats the difference between finding an item on here, or typing it into the search engine on ebay and finding it.

My EBAY name is ugafanindosta. Same rules apply for me. If you want an item I am bidding on, let me know that you really want the item and we can work out a way to split up the item or at least let me know so I don't bid up an item against a friend.

If I find something I want I will never tell anyone! If I find something someone else might want I share the info. My seller name is day5flies_com So if you ever see me bidding It will not matter cause it is already to late. I only bid in the last 20 seconds never before!

I'm listed as shu1182..

I too would be happy to share stuff if people see me bidding. I'll certainly try not to outbid others from the forum, though I can't possibly remember everyone's handle.

I think we all tend to suffer from the illusion, as we sit in our little computer space, that there are secrets on ebay. In my experience, there are way too many people out there looking for this stuff to "slip one over" on anyone, especially if it is a 7 day auction.

Again, if I outbid someone here for something you just gotta have, PM me. I'm sure we can work something out. God knows I have enough crap in the basement already. :hyst: :hyst:

I would also say that I really focus on getting common and/or "essentials" in my purchases. I'm looking for macaw, turkey tail, jungle cock, hackle, GP feathers. I don't devote much time or money to the cotinga or Indian crow stuff. Why? Two reasons, really. 1) You can sub for chatterer, and still create a lovely fly. Can experts see the difference. Sure. So what? I'm much more interested in the beauty and technique than in absolute "authenticity", whatever that is. On the other hand, plastic jungle cock looks like crap. John Shewey told me this several years ago. He said that too many tiers focus on the exotic skins, while the coming shortages are in basic winging materials, crests, and the like. He was right. I'd like to still be tying these flies in 20 years (heck, I actually hope to have more time to tie then. I don't want to find myself with no materials. 2) I'm just not that good a tier, and probably never will be. To put a dozen feathers worth $20 each on a fly that I may screw up at the last minute and have to razor simply isn't worth it. It wouldn't be fun, which is, after all, what I'm trying to have when I make these things.

Just my 2 cents,

Leigh

Oh there are secrets on ebay. I won 3600 daiichi streamer hooks for $31.00 it was a 7 day auction with 3 bidders. I turned around and sold 40% of them for cheap cheap cheap and made 3 times my money back. You just need to know how to look and when to bid. But there are secrets.

i have to use my mum's, so here it is: terezjones

I just found 12 IC feathers, but flyfishingtier has a bid on them, henceforth, i will not bid on them, i guess that knowing everyone's username, could help the underdog's get some stuff.

I once accidentally bid agains Bud on some IC feathers and won. I didn't know his screen name though. If I would have I would have tried to work something out.

BG7MM IS MY EBAY NAME BUT I THINK EVERYONE KNOWS THAT ALREADY. you'll see me there alot and most times i find things myself by continually scanning ebay for materials i may not have.

bUD