Fly Tying
Ethan

Enough is enough

My ebay name is robt3708 and it's about time I actually bid on something. It's nice to know everyone's on the forum as I'd only have guessed a couple of them.

Bob

Bud, It's cool. I got them and I'm happy. I wasn't thinking about letting anyone know before I bid on them.

I'm wanting to get atarted in this game and have been sniping a few thing here and there (sorry if I have taken something from anyone here) but just for future reference my fee-bay sign is rodbuilder1981 for future reference, and I'll watch out for those of you who have posted yours as well.

Hey if anyone knows where I can find some good blind eye hooks... I'm in the market for real cheapies to practice on.

Steve

E-bay is an online AUCTION! The highest bid wins! That is how it works. Everything sold there is worth what the buyer (highest bidder), not the seller, was willing to spend....no more and no less.

Remember, the seller is entitled to sell his merchadise at top dollar/pound/euro/kroner/yen/peso/etc... regardless of how the buyer and bidders found the auction.

Just because an item is bought by someone not recogized on this board does not mean it will not be well used as fly tying material, Dave Carne's points notwithstanding (with which I largely agree). It is, however, once bought, THEIR property!!

As for bidding against someone who posts on FTF (or any other site for that matter) for a material, book, trip etc., go for it. Being a moderator, high volume poster, "bait fisherman" or lurker clearly carries no special privileges regarding an online auction.

When you think about it, life really isn't fair!! But some people just have more resources than others. Some people make some really bad decisions in life, too. Always have; always will.

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Hey if anyone knows where I can find some good blind eye hooks... I'm in the market for real cheapies to practice on.

Steve

Dave Carne was so gentle to send me a lot Partridge Bartleet hooks that he didn't use anymore. He sent more that I will use so I would be happy to share them with you if you are interested. For practice they are great, just cut the leg a little if you want to have a more classical proportion on your flies.

PM me your address if interested.

E-bay is an online AUCTION! The highest bid wins! That is how it works. Everything sold there is worth what the buyer (highest bidder), not the seller, was willing to spend....no more and no less.

Remember, the seller is entitled to sell his merchadise at top dollar/pound/euro/kroner/yen/peso/etc... regardless of how the buyer and bidders found the auction.

Just because an item is bought by someone not recogized on this board does not mean it will not be well used as fly tying material, Dave Carne's points notwithstanding (with which I largely agree). It is, however, once bought, THEIR property!!

As for bidding against someone who posts on FTF (or any other site for that matter) for a material, book, trip etc., go for it. Being a moderator, high volume poster, "bait fisherman" or lurker clearly carries no special privileges regarding an online auction.

When you think about it, life really isn't fair!! But some people just have more resources than others. Some people make some really bad decisions in life, too. Always have; always will.

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

After reading this thread yesterday, I hesitated to post my thoughts b/c I wanted to give myself some time to reflect before I blurted out my feelings. I read it today and see my thoughts (largely) were posted here by Mr. Scoville.

I do think it nice that if someone expresses interest, some members of the forum are willing to back off in a sense.

-pk aka HOCKEY69 (for now- it will change within the year and I'l let all of you know then)

i dont see the point of this whole thread....ebay is a public auction, and this is a public website.....im not seeing the problem.

if some people arent willing to pay a price....then dont bid.

ebay is all about making bucks, and also saving a few.

I'm with Stack on this,if we back off every time we see someone else bidding how do we keep it fair? I lose most of the auctions i bid on because i can't spend as much as others, frustating but it is life.Working deals between us to split a skin is a great idea,but backing off with all the members on this forum is like stoping bidding on fly tying materials.

I'm never looking for big ticket items, and find plenty of treasures with hardly any bidders. Today I won a

whole Silver Pheasant tail clump for a very reasonable price. There were only two other bids.

You win some, and you lose some. :D

With this much in the wind, I just had to throw in my $0.02.

Yes, EBAY is an auction, so yer takes yer chances!

Unlike an in-person auction, there's not much to prevent collusion (generally illegal in in-person auctions). So clearly a few individuals could find each other on the FTF and decide to bid on and split stuff. Which is good for the buyers (generally us). Of course the sellers probably aren't too keen on that.

I have found some surgical scissors, and JC (of course as Bud found out too, a lesser grade than advertised) at good prices, but I have also watched prices spiral out of control on essentially the same items at the same quality in earlier auctions. So one needs to accept fools will pay too much for stuff, and just let them.

Ethan, PM somebeody here that seems to have an interest in certain materials (post your interest, you'll get answers), and go for it. And as Bud and Ronn have indicated, possibly the FTF members might have what you want, at less than ebay.

As far as sniping, it it just annoying, as is repeated bids. Poor ebay-etiquette IMHO. Sorry, that offends a few of you folks. Just put your bid in. The ebay auction agent does the work for you. I'll admit I did it once as a countermeasure to some other sniper, that had been grabbing up previous similar items auctioned, but, like gambling, one needs to set an absolute limit and NEVER exceed it. Hard to do if you get excited by the auction and start sniping. If some fool wants to bid too much for something 5 seconds before the auction closes, then in the end that's their loss.

My $0.02 worth, unless ... :o ... I hear $0.03...Do I hear $0.04? $0.04, $0.04....

-E

:hyst: I never over pay, and I always snipe. Early bidding just makes the seller more money!