Fly Tying
johnnyquest

Another question

QUOTE (johnnyquest @ May 5 2004, 11:57 PM)
Double haul???? you lost me there.........

John,

I'll have to intrduce you to the casting master next time you are over this way. He will improve your casting dramatically in less than an hour. I was out with him a couple of weeks ago and he was making his last haul on the backing with a 115' 10wt line on a 9' rodand shooting another 30-40'. Poetry in motion. I often forget to fish when I am with him, I am too busy watching in awe.

Double hauling is something that is easier to do than to describe in print. It is an absolute necessity in saltwater, or you will never turn over these big, heavy flies nor will you ever be able to reach the fish.

The instructors in my fly fishing club teach the double haul from the start in our beginners clinics. They reason that you're going to have to learn it eventually, so you might as well do it from the get-go.

QUOTE (TroutBum @ May 7 2004, 10:02 AM)
Double hauling is something that is easier to do than to describe in print.

Having recently posted my attempt to describe the manuver in print, I have to agree. Please don't let the length or verbosity of my explaination intimidate you. Try it yourself. Have a fellow fly fisherman demonstrate it for you. Seeing it has to be better than trying to figure it out from a printed description.

I'd also agree that the double haul is a tremendously handy technique.

The easiest way to describe a double hual :

is on the backcast the line hand pulls the line in on the power snap and gives it back while the line is unrolling backwards...then on the forward cast,the line hand pulls the line in on the power snap and gives it back as the line unrolls forward.

-joan wulff

Thats a quote from one of the best casting books out there its called Fly casting techniques by Joan Wulff,widow of the late great Lee Wullf

its a 239 page book that covers almost every aspect of the fly cast and has helped me get past some casting "problems" over the years. I'm sure outdoor gift shop probaly carries it and if not you can get it from the bigger book stores like barnes&nobles.

SD