Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Monquarter

Nice to meet you all

While this is my first post in the Forum, I have to admit to being a " Lurker" on the Forum for years.

I am fortunate to live about 2 hours from the beautiful Miramichi river system in New Brunswick, Canada and I enjoy fishing for old salmo salar.

While this is my first post, I feel I have a few things in common with you:

1. I am passionate about tying flies.

2. I am Acadian in ancestry so I have a connection to the Rajun Cajun.

3. While I am right handed, I am a self-taught tier who ties left hand and I wrap "opposite". Know what I mean Dave C.?

I have been tying display and fishing featherwing flies for about 20 years. With a bit of time, I shall take some photos of flies I have tied and post them here for your critique. I have lots to learn and I am amazed at the quality of the flies shown on this site.

Glad to meet you all.

Marc

hmmmm.... I'm guessing this is.....

Madore?

Welcome to the land of the posting members Marc!! Great to have you here.

We have #'s 1 and 3 in common, and it's good to know that there are more right handed left handed fly tyers out there than just myself.

Really looking forward to seeing you post some flies.

All the best,

Damian Welsh

Not Madore however I know the man. I am a few years younger than that Mark.

My last name is LeBlanc. I met you Damian at the Dieppe fly fishing forum last year. I am friends with J. Heroux and Banana Fingers Freeman.

Marc

Sorry Marc, I always mix you and the other Marc up, I admire both of your work, one of yours I really like is the "Out to Lunch" that is in Paul Marriners book. Yes, I faintly remember, that weekend was such a great one for me but sadly most of it went by all to fast and in such a blur, I was like a kid in a candy store. "Banana Fingers" lol, never heard Bryant called that before. LOL!

Well it's really great to see you here, I bet the guys would love to see a pic of that fly I mentioned and others as well.

Look forward to getting to know you better, I'm assuming you'll be at the show again this year.

Damian.

Welcome, i really hope to see some of your flies. :)

Luke

Hi Marc.

Welcome to the forum. My question was answered. Marc Madore is a very good friend of mine. Have you fished against his wife Line? I hear that she beats all the guys at salmon fishing. Pink hat lady.

Pull up a chair and have a sweet role and cup of coffee. You'll like it here I am sure.

Welcome Marc.....with friends named Banana Fingers, you gotta be cool. :hyst: mark..... B)

Lablanc? man i have some many friends here with that same last name. my floundering buddy is jay lablanc. we have quite a few of the lablanc's here also. a few pages worth in the phone book, hehehe it's a common family name here

hey, we might be cousins !!!!!!!!!!

it's good to have you aboard and hope your visits are frequent. i'm looking forward to communicating abit more with you. the wife and i were talking of making a trip up there being our heritage and ancestry are under your feet and yes my heritage dates back to the same bunch that were exiled from there. ain't it a small world

family name on moms side is blanchard

Bud

Damian, I am a different chap again. The Marc LeBlanc you are referring to is a guide who lives in the Gaspe. I share the same name but I live in Moncton, NB. As you can see from Bud's post, it looks like there's a few more of us down south..... I will certainly be at the Dieppe FF forum again this year. It is a great time.

Mike, answer to why I have been a lurker for so long- I have 2 wonderful, young children- a 4 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. Since becoming a father, I have had very little time for tying. I am trying to get back into it. I will share with you some of my work if I can figure out how to take good pictures of my flies.....

Ronn, while I do know Marc Madore, I have never fished with his wife. From what I hear, I think I will stick to fishing solo as she could kick my butt. Here's a great story about my first encounter with Marc Madore. You have to know the man a bit to truly appreciate the story. I met him in Granby, Quebec at a fly fishing show maybe 6 years ago. I was a guest tier and the night before the show, someone else explained to him that I tie left handed and "backwards" (i.e. I wrap towards myself). He said that it was impossible to do and ".... NO GOOD, NO GOOD,....". Well the next day, I set up and starting cranking out some hairwaings. Over walked Marc. He watched me quietly for a few minutes, never said a word and walked away shaking his head in disbelief. We have been friends ever since.

Bud, if you are ever in this neck of the woods, please let me know. I and a bunch of other tiers would love to meet with you. I can also help with with looking into your ancestry. I would love to show you the area. There's plenty of LeBlancs, Blanchards, etc... around here. Lots of Zachary Richard fans too. The link to Louisiana from here is very, very strong.

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me. I promise to stop lurking and to become a contributor.

Marc

PS- my handle comes from the name of a beautiful river in New Brunswick, Canada called the "Monquart" I once lived next to for a few years.

Gee I guess that name really is popular. Sorry Marc, regardless of which Mark you are, make yourself at home and I'm sure you'll make some lasting friendships and if you seek inspiration for you tying, you are in the right spot.

Best!

Damian.

Glad to have you on board. I have a 4 year old girl and a son who turns 1 on the 21st so I know what you mean about having little time to tie. Jamie Daly is in exactly the same boat so we are all alike in that manner. Hope to see some of your work on the forum soon!

Glad you've decided to join us. You couldn't find a nicer bunch than on this forum! Looking forward to seeing your flies.

Leigh

Glad to have you on board. I have a 4 year old girl and a son who turns 1 on the 21st so I know what you mean about having little time to tie. Jamie Daly is in exactly the same boat so we are all alike in that manner. Hope to see some of your work on the forum soon!

You can lump me in that group as well, 22 mo old twin daughters that love to get into my tying stuff and play with the feathers.

You'll never believe it, both of them can say "Fly Tie" I show them a new fly and they go "Fly Tie" I half expected them to say "Yuk" but nope, what's this girls?..... Fly Tie! I even draw flies on their little dora etcha sketches and hold it up to them, what's this girls? They go, "Fly Tie" Never too early to start them out!! LOL!

Sign in to follow this