Fly Tying
kschu

Woolly Worm

Great pattern wink.gif

I have never tried them for any smallmouth, have you had any luck using them?

I've caught Smallmouth on these, but they are not as productive for Smallmouth as a Wooly Bugger, a Marabou Leech or even a Clouser Minnow. With the Wooly Worm, I seem to get smallmouth more often near sunrise or sunset, up in the shallows.

I tie these in four sizes (10-16) and the larger sizes get more Smallmouth. The abundant panfish in the Fermilab ponds grab a smaller wooly worm before the Smallies have a chance. I tie my Wooly Buggers up to size 8 and the Clousers up to a size 6. While the Bluegills won't often take the bigger flies, we also have "Green Sunfish" which will. These sunfish look like a bluegill mated with a bass. Same slab form with a bit more "meat", same spot on the gills, but a mouth more like a smallmouth than a bluegill. And they put up a fight like a smallmouth. They rarely jump, prefering to try to dive deep when hooked. I had asked a Forest Preserve Ranger what these were and he told me they are "Green Sunfish".

More later,

Ken S.

QUOTE (JackG @ May 5 2004, 12:11 AM)
hows the pink work compared to the red wool, do you notice and difference?

When I went to the fly shop I was looking for the red darlon. They happened to be out of that color and Kyle (salesman and fly tier extrodinaire) said that this hot pink that they had would work just as well. I have noticed no difference between my older flies (tied by a co-worker) that used Red and these new ones that I'm tying. Kyle helped me work out this pattern, based on the old flies. We changed to the grizzly hackle. Kyle showed me the doubling over of the darlon to get a thicker and more visible tail.

If you are ever in the western suburbs of Chicagoland, it would be worth you time to visit my favorite fly shop. "Fly and Field" is located in downtown Glen Ellyn approx. 23 miles straight west of Chicago's "Loop". The shop is right across the street from the Metra Train station. Anyone in Chicago can use the trains to get there. There is a group that meets at the store every Thus. night for pizza and tying. I have visited with this group on occasion and learned so much. I would put the staff of this shop up against the staff at any shop any where.

More later,

Ken S.