Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frank G. Swarner III

Thunder & Lightning Variation

This really isn't variation.....it's a screw up. Tried to mount a wing that was comprised of too many fibers and couldn't do it. Instead of scrapping the winging material I tied the bottom half of the wing on first as an underwing and tied the top half on as the main wing.

Yes, the tail is too long...had it started when I made my last fly post.

Worked on tapering the under body and burnishing it with a stone to get it smooth. Came out alright but could use some more practice.

The Baron's and this one are on a partridge cs10/3 size 3/0. A bit big for me for this fly. I had the wing built but it looked to wimpy so I added some more fibers for better proportions, but I couldn't pull it off....learned another lesson LOL!!

I didn't have any fiery brown hackle that I liked so I used a rooster coque feather instead.....I think it would have looked better if I stripped one side first....alot of the fibbers married.....used a toothbrush but they like to stick to one another.

Used Argus for the top strip in the wing...need to get a good gp tail from a local friend who used to raise them.

Not fond of the kingfisher colored guinea for the throat but I didn't have blue. Going to do a batch of dying pretty soon to fill in the blanks so to speak.

Borrowed a slate shingle sample from work and used it for the background.....

Fire away guys!!

Frank

post-609-1200253954_thumb.jpg

post-609-1200253964_thumb.jpg

post-609-1200253973_thumb.jpg

That's really sweet Frank. Several things I'm liking about this fly, the head, the job you did on the roof, the body and hackling. This is one really nice fly by you!!

Not a thing to be ashamed of here! Your idea of splitting the wing into underwing/overwing components was downright inspired. The rooster coque doesn't bother me at all; I rather prefer fulsome hackles. Great job on the tail veiling, roof and head. All in all, one fine job!

John

Looks pretty darned good to me Frank!!! Got a little wavyness in the floss on the body but the rest is real good.

I like it a lot Frank. I don't think the tail is too long, everything seems to flow nicely. :headbang:

Definitely much more right with this fly than is wrong. The head is great and the way you built the wing looks good to me. I would prefer a slightly shorter tag but that is a personal thing, not a technical detail. Glad to see you working out some of these problems and doing a nice job at it. Nice job!

FANTASTIC job of problem solving with that wing Frank. VERY cool. Hackle is GREAT.....very Speyish.....i likes it a LOT! Killer head. And the tail is NOT to long at all..........imho. Nice long tag as well........i likes that too. mark..... B)

Lookin' really good there, Frank. Ken Sawada mounts his big wings by splitting them in two and marrying them back together. Haven't quite figured out how to do that yet, but I'm trying. It's really tempting to make tall wings; kinda proves you're a "real" salmon tier, but often the lower wings wind up looking much better. And the originals never had those 40 fiber wings we've all attempted.

Leigh

what a wonderful job you did frank. it justgoes to show how adaptable fly tyers are. you took a troublesome application and turned it into a positive application, i like what you did with this fly . if you look into my data base you'll see this technique done purposely on flies i have tied. no rules buddy no rules nice tie

Bud

There are so much that I like about this fly...

You have an individual and varied style about the genres of flies u tie well.and a repitoire of wonderful techniques..

Always love your posts

david nelson

Sign in to follow this