Fly Tying

Starting to get the old batting average up.

Anyway this is Crossfield's Black Silk - tied as listed in Veniard rather than Taverner. It's sort of early Low Water style and has a significantly meatier wing the the real thing as pictured in Taverner (everyone should own 'Fly Tying for Salmon' if you ask me - a really excellent, cheapish book). It's tied in a Crossfield-ish way - though I haven't followed the technique as given in Taverner.

Anyway the wing is tippet strands (not a strip) then mixed goose with turkey over - the Amherst tippet shoulders went on surprisingly easily considering.

Pretty chuffed with this one all round - as per usual my camera's killed it a bit - looks better in't flesh. The hook's one of Mr L's finest - a bit long for my normal preference - but cock on for this. May do a William Rufus - unfortunately I only have a pic of this remarkably modern looking fly created by Pryce Tannat - anyone know where I can find the patterns for his later flies?

Dave

post-3384-1200263362_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful little fly! Nice to see a lot of different hook styles from you lately. Great work on this "simple" little one as they are often the most difficult to get to look "proper".

Glad to see the average getting back up where it should be.

:( Hi Dave, I was pleased and intrigued to hear both of those patterns on your "to do" list! For some damn reason (I have dial-up?) your pic willnot come up for me! so all can see is the small pic. It looks splendid as usual Carne work! On the William Rufus: oddball, isnt it? I think it is deceptively simple looking thats for sure!

I would sure love to see you give it a whirl...it looks like a "simple" beaut!

And Dave, what did you think about the Taverner istructions for the Black Silk? One example I saw years ago was tied by "Bill Chinn" and it was amazing! He used the Taverner book! When I looked over the cryptic istructions, I thought: "Sheesh, I guess Ill give it a try in another life!"

Looking forward to seeing your Rufus

Lovely Work

Dave P.

Beautiful fly. I love the amherst side, never seen this before.

In "Fine and far off" Donald Rudd says that Crossfield was maybe the best salmon fisher ever. It's a shame so little information is available about him and his flies.

Thanks for bringing this up.

WOW! Dave, that's a KNOCK OUT!!!!! Stunning! Gorgeous!!! Beautiful!!!!! mark..... B)