Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Inman

Favorite fly and most despised fly

I can't believe how many people don't care for spey's and dee's.

I must admit too though that early on I didn't care for them, I felt they were kind of messy looking.

That has changed, Over the past few years I have a great appreciation for all things spey and dee and now see their beauty.

Funny thing is, I felt the same way about Tubes and Waddinton's too and now I'm rather enamoured with them, finding them interesting and appealing in their own right.

Not saying anyone is wrong for disliking them, I respect everyones personal tastes on flies and we all have lots of different tastes, but what I find interesting is that I once felt the same way about these styles of flies but overtime really learned to appreciate them and see them in a different way.

This is a really interesting thread Matt. Good idea.

Favorites --- Most all speys and The Galway Blazer (I must go tye it!!! ARGGHH!!! :lol: )

Dispises --- Well, I'm not too sure that there is a pattern I officially hate. They all have good qualities to them.

another great thread...

fav...torrish...love that yellow through red spectrum

least any of those 1860 woolly buggers spey flies

Tough one. Can i have a couple please? Quinchat i like, and seeing Goku's rendition of the Childers, i really like that fly too.

The one i like the least would have to be the Lang Syne. Something about that fly really doesn't do it for me. Must be the dyed amherst. Not overly keen on the Golden Butterfly and its brother.

For me, the shape is more important than the pattern itself. Although, sometimes someone can really amaze me with the way they tie a fly that i don't like, causing me to revise my opinion.

i am new to tying the classics but have just fell in love with tying them.

favorite: the green highlander

least favorite: haven't really found one i hate, but so far the one that has kept me up at nights is the silver doctor

i really like this thread

thanks

matt

Not my cup of tea: The Sherbrook (Sorry Arska ;)!)

:cursing: :nono: :lol2:

favorite: at the mo The Dunt and Jock Scott

least favorite: The Gordon

Arska

Even though I love speys and dees, I have to admit my favorite pattern is a Popham or Green Highlander

Least Favorite; Tippetiwitchet

My fav is the Jackass and the Butcher with a mixwing, when it comes to married wing JS and GH is my favs, what I hate is topping winged flies, not because they are ugly but because I cant tie em in a way that make me satisfied with them. :( :angry:

Favorite: Jock Scott, perhaps, just because it's the first classic I really liked. That's a bit of a cop-out.

Least Favorite: I don't know... I hope this isn't sacrilege, but a lot of the classics look the same to me, just uninventive variations on the same old theme. Bracing myself...

I'm also not that fond of speys (like the other guys have said, the shape is a bit annoying to me).

This is a cool thread, and I'm enjoying reading what others are writing. I most enjoy seeing which flies people dislike, and I have to agree with many of those assessments - good eyes, gentlemen.

-Shawn

i will be posting a dee soon, just the way that dave C and flykid like em :D

(let me guess dave, you are thinking that when i finish it, i will throw it in the fire right? :hyst: )

Favorite---- Nicholson, and it's variations

Least Favorite--- Black Argus. This pattern has forced me into a temporary tying retirement. I have never had a pattern give me as much trouble as this one.

Aaron

Sign in to follow this