Fly Tying

I've been itching to tie this pattern ever since Chris (Streamertyer) posted one here a couple of years ago. It finally came up in my Bergman rotation, and I finally got hold of some iridescent blue-green wood duck feathers for the wings. Unfortunately, I blew the wing-set (a hair too short) and then made the head much too large when I reset them. Ended up trashing the feather slips and substituting iridsecent mallard, which is much easier to handle.

John

I find it very neat, can't expect better than this, it is great!!

John,

Great job on tying this set of flies. You must be ready for the "N" flies now.

I know this question has been asked and answered before, but what style and size of hook are you using? What has been the most problematic material to obtain for these flies?

Charlie Vestal

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Snowmass Angler, here's a link to a thread posted a couple of weeks ago about shiny heads:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=31947

And Charlie, I'm using Mustad 3399 hooks, size 6, for this project. So far the materials I've had the hardest time tracking down are a pair of wood duck wings for the Maxwell, some super-fine white ostrich herl for the body of the Lady Mills, and a black-tipped cinnamon quill for the wing on the Lady Mills.

John

Lovely, John. One of my faves. :headbang:

Re: the WD wings - I've used Wapsi McGinty quills (a bunch for $2 or less) for most of the ones I tied. :o

Love it, John. Something about this fly rang a bell. I couldn't quite place it, though. Then I remembered, I posted this one to the forum, too, a ways back.

Maxwell.

They say your mind is the second thing to go as you get older. :hyst: I really like your version with the fully iridescent wing and no white tip.

Leigh

That is one nice fly :headbang: :headbang: !!! The iridescence of that wing is cool... wonder if that reflects light when fishing it...

Regards

Lee

sweet, i have never tried to do a mallard wing wing :) i will have to try it...