Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Zach Bearden

Grah!!!

I am getting so aggravated at my fly! its a Galway Blazer and the GP Tippets In the picture are over (when I say over it I mean that they are supposed to overlap the peacock by the sides but be shorter than the Malay) the Malay Peacock Pheasant wing. I do not know how to make it like this. I have used about 10 GP feathers trying to get it just perfect and its not working... Please!!!! I need help!!! :help:

link to the fly on Rare and Unusual.

http://www.rareandunusual.com/galway.html

I cannot send you a picture as my Laptop is in Muskogee with my mom and I have no way to link the Digital Camera up to the Desktop... (Its a ME microsoft so its basically lived the extent of its life lol.) and I have another problem, I am on Dial Up so If my laptop was here I wouldn't be able to upload it because it is slow. One more problem, my laptop is having a hard time even getting on the internet even though its the newest operating system out by Microsoft -_-

The fly is effectively follows the construction of a "Durham Ranger", although the Jungle cock feather is replaced by the peacock pheasant. The Tippets are then applied as they would in the Durham Ranger. If i was tying the fly, i would use 6 tippet feathers--3 on each side. Looking at the picture, i think this is what Schmookler has done too.

Hope that helps :)

It would look that way to me also but at the same time he could have just skipped where one would be and put one under that. It could look like he did three on each side. This one is confusing!!!! :scared:

Zach,

I know you're a relatively new salmon fly tier and you've really bit off a big one to tie. This pattern has lots of areas of difficulty for tiers of all levels of experience.

The biggest problem that I see is that Schmookler may be the only person who has dressed this pattern and, as such, none of us that lurk on this forum have experience with it. You could select a classic pattern that has some of the same features and get lots more feedback. For example, the tippet wing could be in a Durham Ranger, the oval tinsel body with veilings and butts could be from a Torrish, ..... You get the idea.

Charlie Vestal

It certainly appears he's used 3 sets of tippets each side

there are 4 vertical black bars from the tippets

the first set nearest the tail has the rear black bar in a single layer of tippet (largets tippet), the next black bar is from 2 layers of matched tippet (matched so that the further larger bar on the outer feather is the same size as the inner smaller bar on the inner tippet), the next black bar 2 layers (ditto layering), the closest to the head is a single layer (note the fade of orange into yellow under the JC and chatterer)

sounds complicated but its easier to do thatn explain

its basically same as a durham but extended by another tippet

try matching them on the table top against a bare hook before tying them in

get the proportions right in practice before the real thing

anyway

thats my 2 cents worth

good luck

its a gorgeous fly!

nick

The wing is 2 sets of tippets on each side with partial overlap showing all 4 bars.

Wing: Malay peacock pheasant, partially

veiled by two golden pheasant tippets

slightly overlapping.

I added the pic for others to see.

post-5737-1200331279_thumb.jpg

Just shoving my oar - as people know I can't resist a good paddle - anyway how big are you tying - coz bear in mind that 'Mr' S's fly is clearly a whopper - this many tippets on a hook smaller than say 5 or 6/0 will be a nightmare.

Dave

I don't have a hook that is 5 or 6/0 and definatley dont have the peacock for that size of hook.... lol

Well, anyways I went and chopped off all the tinsel... The first time I had forgotten the Indian Crow (I have a sub) and this time its on there. I am not doing a round tinsel this time. I have some Larguton flat that has some design embedded on it for that part. I am doing much better on the segments this time. When I get a chance I will Deffinately post a picture of it when I am done.

Sign in to follow this