Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Inman

Popham 4/0

This is the first fly I have tied on my new style of hooks which I tried to add the gutter which turned out pretty nice if I do say so myself. They are a 4/0 Philips Limerick with the front portion of the shank tapered. I am playing around with the finish on this batch and have a new finish coming to me that is much more high tech than this one or my previous finish. Hopefully it will all work out like I think it will.

The pattern is pretty much per PT except for the omission of Peacock and Florican in the wing. The wing was already tall enough and is too big for Peacock and I hate real Florican and didn't want to use a sub. I also notice that I left out the Peacock Herl that is supposed to be on top. :(

I had to do a little funny bending with the tippet to get it above the front IC sub and I left a little less space for the head than normal so this one got a more blunt shape than my normal. Overall fairly chuffed with this one though I am not sure about the shape/proportions.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Edited the picture and this one seems to be a lot clearer in the throat area.

post-5737-1200367005_thumb.jpg

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Home run!!! Very, very pleasing to the eye -- great proportions and flow, and a head to die for!

John

:headbang: Very nice fly!! Looks great from one end to the other and the hook is beautiful!! :headbang:

Hi Matt,

Top Class fly and wonderful hook both compliment one another perfectly.

Well done...

All the best Davie

Sign in to follow this