Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

Why do we swap?

I've been participating in the fly swaps for a fair amount of time and this last Wulff swap got me thinking about why we swap. One of the swappers needed to drop out and I realized that I probably would have said to send the guy a set of flies anyway...what if he couldn't finish if there was a death in the family or something like that. This made me realize I don't really swap so much for what I get back...I've gotten some awesome and not so awesome flies in various swaps. I swap to motivate myself to tie and to give out hopefully nice flies to other board members.

What motivates you to swap????

I have gotten out of it for the last year or so, but for a while I did quite a fwe. I think my motivation was really o force me to branch uot and learn a style or technique I didn't already know. I figured that the extra pressure of others seeing what I produced would 'force me' to follow through and really give it a good shot.

I do it to learn a new style of tying or to get new ideas for flies I use a lot. I like to join swaps where I have never attempted that style of fly tying before more than joining swaps for flies I use a lot because it makes me sit down and learn a new style and perfect it before I feel comfortable sending them out.

I can't nail down exactly why I enjoy swaps so much.I have seen a huge improvement in my tying skills since I started. I learned from others how to tweek a pattern and make it better. And I don't worry about getting a sub par fly from another tyer, because I know he learned from this swap and will be better for the next one. I get excited every time I enter a swap. And getting thoose flies is like X-Mas come early.

I do it because I'm ADDICTED!!!!! I just can't stop :hyst:

But seriously I have gotten sooo much better after 30 swaps!!

Justin

I haven't had the time to swap as much as I would like - but - it makes me concentrate on what I am doing and in quantities. More times than not, I just do one or two patterns and I never pick up the finer aspects. With a swap and my stuff going elsewhere, I do 20 and pick out the best. Maybe I need to have a swap for myself - :rolleyes:

I like the learning aspect and the sharing. It is so cool to look at the whole set when your done and have pride in a dozen flies that you've tied and now get to send out to other tiers. I also like meeting and conversing with other people who like to tie as much as i do. This site is full of great people and tiers. I have swapped on some other sites, but not twice on any one of them.? I have swapped dozens of times on this site :D that says alot

Discipline <_< , Communitiy :) , Education

Swapping holds me to ty X amount of a certian fly that I would probably not ty on my own.

In my neck of the woods I can slay the fish with a simple woolybugger, but when you have a box full of flys from around the world you got to try different tactics.

:P

its funny this post came up my g/f asked me the other day why I like swapping flies cause I have a stock pile of flies that prolly wont see water I told her it makes me a better tier because I learn new styles of tying I tie for the local bait shop all dry flies it gets boring tying the same pattern 25 - 30 dozen so the swaps break up the pattern set plus getting flies from other people gives me ideas for my own fishing flies and for you guys and gals I have swapped with trust me alot of your patterns have been wet

I also used to join the swaps to force myself to learn new patterns and to practice the patterns i knew. I never wanted to send a crappy set of flies.

It also kept me motivated to stay at the bench.

Last year i sat down and created a "to tie" list. I listed all the different flies i want to tie, the colors and the sizes. Since doing that i have been joining fewer and fewer swaps since i find myself wanting to concentrate on the list. Of course over the past year the list has increased in length rather than decreasing. It seems for every set that i finish i add to others to the list.

Swapping has been a way for me to force myself to try new techniques. I am still new to tying and love challenging myself to learn more. I also love looking at and learning from the flies I recieve. I am looking forward to getting more feedback on the flies I tie in future swaps as another tool to help me become a better tyer.

I like to check out the skill/style of the other swappers.

BFR

Some of you will remember I joined 32 swaps and hosted 9 a while back.

I really enjoyed trying new patterns and just sending the flies to other people had me strive to do better every time.

It was always a kick getting a dozen or so flies and see what everyone had done. Some were great, and some not, but you could tell everyone did their best.

I remember the first one I hosted, it was something seeing files from 12 tyers and mixing them up!

So to sum it up, I liked it, it made me pay attention to what I was doing and inspired me to try new flies.

It's a great thing to do.

Don